Author Topic: The Quarter Horse Stands Up - PMR #4  (Read 32227 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: The Quarter Horse Stands Up - PMR #4
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
Yes, I’m aware that there is a “proper” radius for rounded top studs based on stud diameter, ....
and the current price of scones. This isn’t it but I like it visually so it stays.

:facepalm2: Its just like having cold currenty scones with strawberry jam and cream.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »
Can't get leaded here. I believe the classic car guys (Cletus???) pour cans of lead additive into the tank.
Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
Vern, dammit man, the studs are looking much better, however,  the coneheads should be left to SNL ;). Now, your nuts look ducky, they still aren't as pretty as Dave's, but,  I'm beginning to think he is having his airbrushed in print like the magazines do those super models  :lolb:. Petrol, fuel, gas, whatever you call it : For all my lawn equipment, motorcycles,  and old car, I go to the local airport and use my pilots license for the only thing I use them for anymore and that is to buy fuel. It's 100LL. I tell them I'm going to fuel a Piper Cub I have on the farm; They know better, but,  they make a sale,  I get the fuel,  and the world goes on :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. Never have figured out how this ethanol thing is supposed to work; after diluting gasoline by 10 percent with ethonol, your fuel mileage drops by 25 percent , unless Marv can shed some light on these maths,  redneck thinking is that you are in the hole by 15 percent . Keep up the splendid work old boy :cheers:

Cuzn Cletus

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2015, 07:48:53 PM »
The nuts will be much better once they're polished.  :lolb:
Best,
Stan

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2015, 08:11:10 PM »
Guys, Guys I fear you have been encouraged to use this stuff  :ShakeHead:

Remember whilst you might forget your little "added features" that we all make, after we are gone and our babies move on to someone else they will measure us by these standards. And do you want to be remembered as having a odd shaped studs :-[

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2015, 08:17:29 PM »
Stan, I don't think you have studies Daves nuts in enough intimate detail, the 20deg angle should go the other way but at least they will be shiny.

J
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:45:11 PM by Jasonb »

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
I'm calling Dave out, are you airbrushing or not? I think Dave should start a thread on his nuts, complete with multi-angle photos and a detailed ops explanation . Ok Dave , show us your nuts  :LittleDevil:  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
Odd-shaped studs? Perhaps by 19th century standards. The one thing that stands out in my BFA and MFA programs was the admonition against blindly copying past art. Important as a foundation to be sure, but not encouraged as a means to personal expression. If I were to faithfully copy the Strelinger ¼ horse, I'd be using cheesehead screws to attach the heads. When I did Elmer's 3 cylinder radial and made Elmer's square cylinders round, it was a visual improvement.
Good thing when Picasso died, no one said "well, his paintings certainly aren't like the old masters. They're odd."
I'm not attempting 100% accurate copies of existing engines. With some engine or another as a basis, I may take a different road. I've yet to see a full-size Rider-Ericsson painted in any color but black and very little effort was taken to remove parting lines unless they interfered with the operation.
I absolutely appreciate that you are so painstaking in research, planning and execution to produce beautifully accurate reproductions. That's the engineer and keep them coming.
BTW
I'll look at those angles on the nuts. They did seem a bit strange.
Best,
Stan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »
OK I'm a little busy right now; first time in weeks or maybe months that I have been able to work on "my" project in the shop.
Anyway look here, at about post #70 and you will get an idea of works for me.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=1326.70

BTW nice progress on your engine Stan!

Dave

Oh, and I'm pleased that you all like my nuts :lolb:

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
OK now Vern, don't be getting no swarf in your shorts. It's Friday and since Zee ain't building anything and Marv hasn't started correcting anything yet,  we had to have someone to pick on  :lolb: :lolb:. Tell everybody I said how they doing

Cuzn Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2015, 10:57:27 PM »
...It's Friday and since Zee ain't building anything...

Pfffft.  :cussing:

Not so true. Just nothing I can bring myself to show. But I have been building a lot of character. However I dare not show that either.
I could try using some of that fine polish Jo suggested...but I'd go broke getting the amount needed.
I have produced many turds...but none worth polishing.   :'(

Stan...at your pace you'll be able to bring that to the diner. Looking good.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2015, 11:19:24 PM »
OK now Vern, don't be getting no don't get any swarf in your shorts. It's Friday and since Zee ain't isn't building anything and Marv hasn't started correcting anything yet,  we had to have someone to pick on on whom to pick. Tell everybody I said how they doing , "How are you doing?"

There you go.  Feel better now?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2015, 11:28:49 PM »
Marv
I know you hate emoticons but...
 :lolb: :Jester: :ROFL:
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
The Quarter-Horse Stands Up - PMR #4

Episode 5 - Stud Farm and Pillow Blocks

Back at it after the holiday weekend.

Since the crosshead will be coming up shortly, a 240 grit Flex-hone was mounted in the mill and, with plenty of oil, the cylinder bore and the frame bores were smoothed out. This was followed by a 400 grit Flex-hone.

With those finished, next up were the pillow block and bearing caps. I aligned the castings, clamped them to the table and drilled and tapped holes so that they would remain aligned for the rest of the machining.

The stud heights will be adjusted after both are machined.

I measured the draft angle and set the angle vise to match and then cleaned up the casting faces.

Much more fettling and sanding to do later. For now, the bottom and sides are cleaned up.

Mounting holes drilled.

Next up, the threaded mounting holes for the pillow blocks. Much cranking back and forth and light hammer taps until I had the base indicated. There was a bit of bouncing on the DTI dial from the casting surface but it’s within .003” end to end.

The eight mounting holes spot drilled per the drawing.

Now, 8 more studs. The ends were slightly crowned and then each was marked for thread depth.

First test is good.

Rinse and repeat seven more times.

Then eight nuts to mount the pillow blocks.  I’m getting better at the nuts. Thanks, Dave.

Connecting Rod

This vise was a CF acquisition a few years ago. Hasn’t had much use but for some parts, it’s been very useful. 45 minutes later, the vise is square to the table and vertical.

Now, the rod is indicated to find center.

Drilled and tapped and a center hole is added. The center pop is not on the drawing but it will be useful.

Then, a .04” slitting saw to separate the cap.

The casting halves were about .020” out of alignment.

The con rod was moved to the lathe. Now the center hole has a use. Easy cleanup at this point.

Now back to the mill for facing both ends to width.

Then a center-cutting end mill to slot the part. Two passes, .45” each.

The part was leveled, supported, clamped and generally made immobile for drilling and reaming.

One end finished.

Then the clamping was reversed for the other end.

Drilling for an oil hole.

Followed by fettling and sanding.

Much more finishing to do.

Crank Pin

This part has a center turned between shoulders. Instead of endlessly switching between left and right cutting tools, I ground a .5” thick tool just a bit narrower than the width needed. First, dimensions were marked out with a narrow groovng blade.

Then the part was turned.

And, done.

Best,
Stan

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
You're making quick work of this Stan, and it's looking good!

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal