Author Topic: Panther Pup  (Read 8003 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Panther Pup
« on: April 11, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »
Hello!

There are two fellows in my metal club who have been building the Panther pup and are WELL into the project. There plan was to make enough parts for each of there engines and then make a third set of parts for a display board to put up at model engine shows. I really like the Pup and the pups I have seen at shows seemed to run well so about 2 years ago I purchased a set of casting. I called Kevin and Kurt and setup a time to visit the shop and inspect the work to see what I was in for. I spent about an hour inspecting the parts and questioning setups and processes for the complicated parts. At the next club meeting they presented me with the box of spare parts that contained many many parts. They even gave me a set of spark plugs and a blown glass fuel tank they had made by a collage glass blowing group. The Friday after Thanksgiving I went out to the shop and machined the flywheel. I figured if I get a part a week done I would be doing good. Well that didn't happen and I finished all the pieces up that I had tooling to do. My friend Ron, another club member, wanted to take on the intake/exhaust manifold so I machined up the flange and passed that off to him. Recently he finished it up and I mounted it up. Then the carb was assembled and mounted and before I knew it I was out of pieces to make. Last Wednesday it was taken to the club meeting where Kurt and Kevin, who had no idea I was even working on it, could see it for the first time. It has not run yet but next week is NAMES and I plan to purchase an ignition system from Roy at S/S and see if I can get it fired up.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:12:08 PM by stevehuckss396 »
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Panther Pup
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:13:39 PM »
Wow Steve...that is probably the prettiest panther pup I have ever seen. Good luck with it at NAMES!!

Bill

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
Ye gads! That is pretty. And I thought you didn't like polishing things Steve. Can't wait to see it next week.

--Tim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
Hi Steve, that's a pretty show case version of  this engine. It will be a runner I am sure. I am also sure, if Don will see the pictures, he will get really excited.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:09:50 PM »
Steve, that is a very impressive (and shiny!) engine!  Can't wait to see it run.
Have fun at NAMES.
Kim

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 08:21:22 PM »
Like we say on my home island:
It blings like cat balls in moonshine!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »
Aw! Steve you shouldn't of done that, now you have me all lathered up. I have been having the plans for that engine for to long and brass oh your cruel man. That is awesome looking and I like.................. :praise2: :praise2:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline icman

• lincs uk
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 08:21:21 PM »
Great job . I love the distributer made from Perspex the ht leads are very neat and the glass tank is a nice finishing touch. Hate to think what the cost was with all that brass !!!!! Just finished my Pup had hell of a job to get it to run.Smokes and belches like an old tropper.Will put it up on u tube so you can see it running, will also send in some photos to this site. Regards mike
Above workshop door. "abandon hope all ye that  enter here "

Offline Greg Haisley

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »
Beautiful Engine Steve - I am amazed at the craftsmanship you guys deliver.
Cheers,
Greg Haisley

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »
Well fellers after showing the panther pup at the NAMES and Mid-Ohio shows "pretty" I told everybody that I would get the engine dialed in and running. Today is that day. It took a couple hours to time the camshaft and get the distributor indexed. The engine was converted to one of Roy's CDI boards so I had to press the magnets onto the magnet disk thingy. We got some Video of the first run but it shows sideways so this footage is it running with about 15 seconds of run time on it. The valves and rings are not seated and I over filled it with oil. Other than that it ran pretty good.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pbljGyQvbQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pbljGyQvbQ</a>

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 08:12:35 PM »
Looks and sounds great  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »
Fantastic Steve. Looks as good running as it did in the "pretty" state but sounds a whole lot better  ;). Beautiful result and a nice addition to your amazing collection.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 09:01:27 PM »
Awesome Steve and it runs so smooth too. Much appreciated bud for sharing the video with us. The engine is just gorgeous and the brass looks awesome.

Don

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 09:30:31 PM »
Thanks guy's

Now that it has oil and gas in it I'm not allowed to bring it into the house. I need a volunteer to polish the brass now that it will reside in the garage.

Hello!!

Hello!

Where did everybody go!

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »
A nice shiny runner.  I will keep it polished for you if you send it here. >:D

Vince

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal