Author Topic: Some very nice compressed air engines from a fellow Iowan  (Read 4155 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Some very nice compressed air engines from a fellow Iowan
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
These compressed air engines were built by a fellow Iowan, also a member of this forum.  He asked if I would post the pictures for him since he is "Computer Challenged".   :D  As you can see from the pictures, he is clearly not "Mechanically Challenged"!

This V-Twin uses a rotary valve and is 2-stroke in operation...

This single has a camshaft but is also a 2-stroke.  Compressed air is admitted into the fuel tank and is directed through the "fuel line" to the carburetor and into the cylinder.

This radial engine is based on a scaled up version of Rudy Kouhoupt's 5 cylinder radial.  Compressed air is directed to the cylinders from a rotary valve then exhausted through the pushrod actuated exhaust valves in the head, a unique approach I hadn't seen before.

I'll let Gary, the builder, jump in and add any comments or answer any questions.

Chuck

So many projects, so little time...

Offline philjoe5

Re: Some very nice compressed air engines from a fellow Iowan
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
Beautiful workmanship.  Thanks for sharing those  :ThumbsUp:

I had to read the post twice to convince myself these engines were powered by comp air

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
Thanks for posting those Chuck. Gary...that is some really beautiful work too, hope we can see more!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:39:29 PM »
Oh yea, that is some beauties for sure and I do love the finish on them. That's what I call fit and finished. Superb work Gary and Chuck thanks for posting.

Don

Offline galland

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:56 AM »
Hi guys,  I am the Gary that Chuck helped out here. This is my first attempt to say something on here even though I have been a permanent browser for over two years. I have heard some say introduce your self so here is a little intro. I am a retired machinist who originally went through a two year tool and die trade school program. I worked 38 years at a factory in Marshalltown, Iowa. I just enjoy anything mechanical and actually started building miniature cannons and gatling guns first. Miniature as in 6 inch long gatling gun.  Well I want to thank Chuck again for helping and thank you guys for your kind words.

Gary

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 01:29:06 AM »
Dear Gary-

Please stick around, and don't be shy.  Your engines are wonderful to look at!  Let's see your cannons, Gatling Guns....what ever else.

Frank

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:12:00 AM by BronxFigs »
90% of everything is BS!

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 01:36:38 AM »
Gary

Let me add my admiration for your work, those engines are really nice.

Don't be shy to keep Chuck working posting photos of more of your stuff!

(Hi Chuck. ;D)

cheers, Joe

Offline daveyscrap

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 03:21:21 PM »
Those are very nice looking engines Gary   Excellent workmanship  just wish I could start and finish one.  Thanks for showing us.   
Dave

Offline ColH

• Geelong, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 12:32:48 AM »
Beautiful engines Gary.

Any chance of getting Chuck to help you make and upload a video of them running?

Col
ColH

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 06:40:28 AM »
Very impressive work, indeed. I'd also enjoy seeing a video of them running, and even better, to see them at a show like Cabin Fever (in just 2 weeks!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal