Author Topic: CAD Packages  (Read 7559 times)

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

Re: CAD Packages
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 12:38:47 AM »
I have also applied and it looks like the $20 is for shipping and handling that the program is free. I will be interested to see if it expires in the calender year then I only going to get 30 days for my $20. I'm now in wait mod for SW to send Email with further instructions.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 12:55:56 AM »
Wow $20.00 a year for the use of a 3-5K$ software package; I'd jump on that in an instant. I use SW in my day job and would love to have it at home but it is way out of my price range.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 01:06:18 AM »
Keep in mind that the educational edition is not useable for commercial purposes. IIRC SW prints their disclaimer in grey scale across the central part of the print. At leas AutoCAD prints it along the four edges of the border. Please correct me if I am wrong and maybe it even changes over time.

Bill

Offline Greg Haisley

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 12:41:11 PM »
To Solidworks users or potential users - I use SW with HSMWorks (the premium version of HSMxpress) everyday. HSMxpress is the free 2D version of HSMWorks. The nice feature of these CAM packages is all your machining jobs are saved within the same Solidworks part or assembly file. If you change your design model the CAM package puts a red X on the routines that need regenerated. Press the regenerate button, repost to your machine and cut the new version of your model. This software does a great job of High Speed machining for low horse power machines. The draw back is the tool path file sizes are large. I drip feed on older CNC machines with limited memory. The other nice thing is post processor support is free. Most popular machines have a post with the software, if not then go to http://camforum.autodesk.com/ and get or have a post modified for your machine. I have used HSMWorks for 4 years now and for the most part very pleased. There are still some things I would like the software to do better, but overall it is a very good product for free. The forum support is great, quick replies to all users of the software.

Once you go to a 3D parametric solid modeler you won't go back to 2D. Too powerful and efficient compared to a 2D CAD product. With Solidworks the user can do draft analysts for making castings (this checks the model using a pull plane for proper draft), interference detection for assemblies that shows you if 2 part models are sharing the same space. Every project that I have designed using Solidworks has came out perfect. Never had to make a part over because with the assembly design the user is able to see any problems before making the part.

Best regards,

Greg Haisley
Cheers,
Greg Haisley

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal