Author Topic: My Cyclone Project  (Read 21417 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: My Cyclone Project
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 02:36:46 AM »
I have to admit that my first car was a 1968 Cyclone. No GT about it, the 302 was a dog. It did look cool though with the fastback like the Torino. Your project is lookin good.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Thank you for posting the technical details  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I have a Steve Smith book on building racecars from my motorsport days so I actually understand what a top loader is  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
Cletus--Ya got to love them 390's!!! I have built and driven hotrods of every type since I was a teenager, but the 390 backed up by a C6 automatic was an absolute torque monster. I put one out of a Meteor Montcalm (I think---it was 1975) into a 1956 F100 Ford pickup. I ran 14" Mickey Thompsons all the way around on that thing, (Remember Hotwheels look) but never could get it to hook up.--But Oh My God--what a smokeshow at a stoplight. I had no power steering on the truck, and that 390 was about 150 pounds heavier than the original Y block. After 6 months of driving the truck to work every day, I had arms like Hulk Hogan from steering it.---Brian

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
Thanks guys for the warm response.  The pile of parts that were removed from the body before it was sent to paint are slowly being refinished and are awaiting the return of the freshly painted body.  Brian,  you are right, as AussieJimG can confirm , ain't nothing like the feel of FE Ford torque. You know it's funny,  most new cars on the lot today can post a better 0 to 60 time than this old car can,  but,  your butt just don't feel the same  :lolb:  We put a 427 wedge motor in a 76 4wd one time , had to put it in low lock to get it through all three gears in an 1/8 of a mile, throwed a rod and pulled it home behind my truck that had
 a hot rod 360/390/427/428  :lolb: in it

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 12:56:55 AM »
That looks awesome tatah!     When we goin cruizin?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 01:03:08 AM »
Time for more pictures me thinks...eh Cletus? Is this one being restored for sale or is Dad planning on keeping it?

Bill

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
Here is y'all a little update. Car is in the paint shop and I'm still cleaning and polishing. I've been promised that the trim restoration will be finished by the end of the year. I'm kinda hoping for a Valentines Day reveal. Bill, this is one that until I'm bout dead and gone, ain't going anywhere.

Eric

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »
My late Brother-in Law had a '65 midnight metalic blue Comet Caliente Convertable that was just Georgeous. I learned to drive sitck in it, and was allowed to take my girl friend out in it a couple of times. Oh, the memories!
He had to trade it for a family truckster as his family grew. Wish I had it now...

Chuck

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »
Yes, I'm still alive and Happy New Year to all. The Cyclone came home from paint on the day before Christmas eve and brought me a lot of work to do from Santa :lolb:.
Due to the scheduling at the paint shop, I had to send it to them with the under hood work incomplete. So, that is where I'm working now, along with some under the dash work while paint is drying on under hood parts. Did I tell you that back in '66 they weren't real big on rounding corners or breaking sharp edges, I look like I've been run through a briar patch :lolb:. Well, I've been promising some updated pics to a few members and I have one long over due PM to a dear friend down under to reply to, so, here y'all go. Jim, watch your box this weekend.

The start,

Notice the pancake syrup bottle used to hold the windshield (screen) washer solvent. Yes, it's factory, stamped Rotunda, and original to the car.

And here is you one with some of the covers off, showing it's new shine. The shop warning and notice at the present is: "DON'T SCRATCH THE PAINT" :lolb: :lolb:

Thanks for stopping in now you hear,
Cletus

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
Now that is some pretty paint. Keep at it. Really looks spectacular.
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 02:43:37 PM »
Well it's about time Dog, you have kept us in suspense long enough.  :lolb: She's looking good though and anxious to see it with the engine in. Bet the holidays have been taking up a lot of your time on her. Keep up the fine work my brother.   :ThumbsUp:

Don

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »
Thanks guys, it's almost like a model engine,  one part at a time, a little fettling here and a little polish there.  Made good progress today  :ThumbsUp: Actually I have some lathe work coming up tomorrow  :whoohoo:

E

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 10:03:15 PM »
Looking good Vern!.... :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 11:03:56 PM »
Fantastic Cletus...worth the wait even :). Can't wait to see it with the engine in and the drop cloths removed so we can admire the whole thing at once!! 

Bill

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »
That's looking real good my friend, I was starting to get a bit worried about you since we hadn't heard of the progress.

I feel much better now.

Happy New Year to you and Lou and DOG

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal