Author Topic: Stuart steam feed pump.  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Coxy

Stuart steam feed pump.
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »
Hi I am new to this site, so I apologise if someone else has mentioned this. I see there is a very comprehensive thread about the building of Stuarts steam feed pump. There are some contributions mentioning trouble in running the pump. I built one about three years ago, and, just as I was warned it would not run on steam. It did however run on air! Hydraulic lock! If made to the drawings, at the ends of each stroke, the piston covers the holes leading to the drain cocks. I carefully filed  semicircular grooves from the ends of the bore to the drain cock holes. On reassembly, it ran "like a Swiss watch".
To start it, the drain cocks are opened and the steam turned on. Steam issues from one drain cock. This cock is slowly closed until the piston travels to the other end. Steam now issues from the other drain cock. The remaining cock is slowly closed until the pump starts. It is allowed to run with the cylinder drains partly open for about half a minute. Once the pump is hot, the cocks are fully closed, and the steam supply adjusted to attain the required stroke rate. I hope this may be of some help to someone.
Cheers

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Stuart steam feed pump.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:58:42 PM »
Thanks for the insight Coxy!    That will be a big help to someone else building that pump!    Do you mind if I move this post there?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
It would be a lot easier to be of use if it's there....that's all.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Coxy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »
I don't mind at all. Please move it to where you think it will be the most help.

Maurice

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal