Author Topic: Smaller Horizontal IC Engine - 5/8" Bore  (Read 28329 times)

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
Re: Smaller Horizontal IC Engine - 5/8" Bore
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »
Nicely done as usual, Chuck.  I always learn something following along with your projects.  Thanks.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2014, 02:57:27 AM »
Chuck,
That sounds pretty good. How hot does it get w/o cooling on the head?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2014, 04:47:53 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for following along.  It does seem to get easier with each build and this is probably one of my best models in terms of fit and finish.  I'm very pleased with the way the cam turned out.  Much smoother than I would have expected and it never misses a lick.  I'm keeping it pretty well oiled so I don't think wear will be a problem.

Art, the top of the cylinder and the head does get pretty hot.  I think the cooling would be better if the intake valve was on the other side of the head.  I might have to add a cooling fan on the flywheel side of the cylinder.

I am planning to clean up the drawings and post them. 

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »
Chuck--Did you use any rings on that piston?--Brian

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Chuck, sorry I'm late to the party.  That's one sweet runner,  seemed not to wiggle the least bit.  Super job.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

E

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2014, 11:57:52 PM »
Chuck--Did you use any rings on that piston?--Brian

Brian, I used an O-Ring.  Don't know what kind of material, just something I picked up at Home Depot in the plumbing department.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2014, 12:12:25 AM »
Thanks Chuck.--I always use Viton, because I would be afraid of a standard Buna-N o-ring getting too hot and melting. You have done a great job on that engine, and have moved to a point where I can no longer follow you with my manual machines. Nice work!!!---Brian

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2014, 05:07:42 AM »
Thanks, Brian, now if I only had your skill with Drawings... So, I'm going to start uploading the drawings.  This is not complete, but if I upload a copy as I progress, maybe it will keep me moving ahead on them.  This truly is not something I enjoy doing, but I do understand the importance of sharing the knowledge.

I'll let you know which upload is the final version.

Chuck

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »
I'm a bit late to the party Chuck but that's a really great engine you've created  :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

Great Job

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2014, 01:30:34 AM »
Hi Chuck

Nice engine!  Great design!  I have looked in a time or two but since I have never built an IC engine, I didn't feel qualified to comment.  A few pages ago, you invited questions and I couldn't even do that.

That cross over cam got into my head.  I understand the principle and the general function of cams but the finer points of cam profile are beyond me.  I see that you have modified the path of the groove in your final design and I can see that it more closely resembles the cam that was your inspiration. 

I thought that your original design looked more regular in it's transitions than the current one.  Can you explain  what was wrong with your first design?   I think that I could machine something close to the first one manually with a rotary table but not so the last one.  If it could be done manually, more people might be tempted to try this kind of engine.

Jerry

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2014, 08:02:05 AM »
great engine you have made, great design too, your R&D dept is really working hard !
thanks to unravel the secrets behind this cam, the whole story is amazing.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Thanks again, guys.  I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the cam works and how well the engine runs.  I have a bit of a problem when I first start the engine.  It runs for just a couple of seconds then dies, I choke it, it starts and dies.  I think the fuel line is too small and it gets air in it after sitting for a while, because if I pressurize the fuel tank temporarily, it will start and run steadily for as long as I want.  I may increase the fuel line size from 3/32 to 1/8.

Jerry, the problem with the original cam was that it basically held the exhaust valve open for nearly a full revolution of the crank then held it closed for the next revolution.  The new cam holds the exhaust open for 1/2 a revolution, then closes it for 1 1/2 revolutions.  The groove has 3 basic diameters, the outer opens the exhaust valve, the middle closes it and holds it for close to a full revolution then the inner groove for the next half revolution.   The middle and inner groove comprise more than a full revolution and therefore have to be on two different diameters.  In the following image, the cam disk rotates clockwise.

Here is another video, after I got it settled down.  I also added a fuel tank lid and made a new timing adjustment lever.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCVVX39SLc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCVVX39SLc</a>

Chuck

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:25:15 PM by cfellows »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
Chuck, I don't know what kind of power it will produce under load,  but,  you couldn't produce no sweeter runner  :NotWorthy: :praise2: :LittleAngel: :cheers:

E

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »
Hi Chuck, I don't comment often but your engine design defiantly deserves high praises. A very unique idea and runs great on top of it all. What RPM does it turn? It appears nice and slow. Have you tried raising the fuel level to just under the carb inlet? Great job, Gary  :)
"Effort equals Results"

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2014, 10:13:24 AM »
Exhaust beats at 5 Hz, hence the engine runs at 600 rpm, and what a regular pace!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back