Author Topic: frustrated re: member profiles  (Read 4279 times)

Offline bytewise

• Dutchess Co. NY USA
frustrated re: member profiles
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:42 AM »
I wish members would put their approximate location in their profile. It would be nice to find any members that live near me. We do not want mailing addresses! Just the country and state or region. It would make it easier to share machines, etc.
Hugh

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
Re: frustrated re: member profiles
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:59:21 AM »
I see that you have your location in your profile, but it does not show up in your posts. You need to put it along with your profile avatar or sig (I forget which). I had the same problem when I first joined.

PS: It's actually called "personal text".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »
Hugh, it would be nice I agree, but some people are just more private than others. So far at least it hasn't been a requirement to join the forum and I doubt that it will be. All we can do is ask and hope they will see the benefit, especially is asking for help of a more local nature.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:28 PM »
I think it just doesn't occur to a lot of new members. So thanks for the reminder.

And, as pointed out, even if they fill out their profile it may not occur to them how to make it show in their posts. Again...good reminder.

I would also say (and I was guilty of this)...many people when they join are putting their toe in and either want to quickly get registered and 'in' or don't want to provide more information until they see if the forum is for them. And so yet again...good reminder for those who have stayed but forgot to update.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »
And one other reminder...

When you enter your location, explicitly indicate your country.  Large English speaking countries often have identical city, county and place names so a country identifier is needed to sort out where you are.

The same remark applies to citizens of the USA.  Indicate your state since many states have same name cities.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »
I agree Marv, my town Darfield also occurs in England, and Canada(BC), a good many NZ towns with English names are from England often from where the early settlers came from, ie., Christchurch, Canterbury, etc etc.   
                                                         Ian S C

Arbalest

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »
Hugh, it would be nice I agree, but some people are just more private than others.
Bill

I understand the privacy thing but some folks say it and then leave "bootprints" all over the place making it very easy to see where they are!  :Lol:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
Arbalest, I agree completely and don't really understand the reluctance for at least putting in your city,state,country, etc. My point was that for whatever reasons, some people are that way and despite efforts to change that in the past, they simply won't do it. Since it isn't a requirement there isn't much the admins or mods can do about it other than change the policy.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
Hey some of these "guys" are really shy, most of them won't even admit to being male :LittleDevil:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »
The least populous state, Wyoming, has a bit more than half a million people.  If you're so paranoid that locating yourself into a group that size is scary, you must be on the run, either from the police or a (ex)wife.

Countries are mostly bigger.  If you're a fugitive living in the Vatican (pop 500) or Pitcairn Island (pop 67), we'll forgive you for hiding your country.  (You can still safely indicate your terrestrial octant, however.)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
The least populous state, Wyoming, has a bit more than half a million people.  If you're so paranoid that locating yourself into a group that size is scary, you must be on the run, either from the police or a (ex)wife.

Countries are mostly bigger.  If you're a fugitive living in the Vatican (pop 500) or Pitcairn Island (pop 67), we'll forgive you for hiding your country.  (You can still safely indicate your terrestrial octant, however.)

Hi Marv, I like your humor very much.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »

Hi Marv, I like your humor very much.

Vielen Dank.  Es freut mich, dass Sie so denken.

Every morning I get up, brush my teeth, and sharpen my tongue.  My wife says I should do stand up (comedy) but not on a stage, rather in a shooting gallery.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »
I'll furnish the ammo, badabing badaboom, care for a last smoke?

Luv ya Marv,
E

Offline Danny M2Z

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
Many of our members have put their marker on the MEM Zeemaps.

Is everybody aware of this resource?

* Danny * (wondering why all the Aussies are concentrated in the 3 N.E. states)
Measure twice - cut once. You can't put it back!

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »

* Danny * (wondering why all the Aussies are concentrated in the 3 N.E. states)
No one lives in all the others...... :stir:
PatO
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal