Author Topic: Stentor  (Read 60014 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Stentor
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »
Give the Postie a chance, I said I'd post the powder today, it sitting in the Jiffy bag besides me for posting later. Yes it is some of the stuff Ramon kindly donated when I did the Firefly

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
Give the Postie a chance,

;) I still have the laps to make, so I won't be ready to use it until the weekend at the earliest.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
Well when it arrives you can have a bit of a celebration - do some lap-dancing...

PDR
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »
If I'd have known you would be lap dancing in laytex gloves I would have delivered the powders in person :naughty:

Too late now they are in the post box. Should work out OK if you do the lapping on Friday you will have clean pinkies by Monday

J

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
How many laps have you? Hugh...

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2014, 02:13:26 PM »
How many laps have you?

At the moment: Zero

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »
Oh well, sit down and take a deep breath...

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »
..........but you would not believe the amount of telling off I got for using that glove :(
Jo

Jo, everyone is quite right to say that gloves and rotating surfaces are not conducive to safe working practices however when lapping you are actually holding the part anyway.
The problem is the cast iron - it makes for truly great blackening agent and barrier creams are about as much use as .....?
Much as I don't want to be controversial I can't agree with Jason here though  ;) as it takes bloody days of 'washing dishes' to remove it from my hands ;D.  Like a lot of things however 'Yer pays yer money' etc

I assume  from 'cutting compound' you mean the type for cutting paint back? - I think you'll be quite a while using that to remove all the tool marks in the initial stages and you do need to get a nice matt uniform surface first before lapping to a finish. Wait for Jason's package then begin with the 320 grit until all tool marks disappear. This is one area you have to 'get right' before moving on and yes, to reiterate Jason, do the liner first then the piston to fit.

AS - you may well have a good point here re differing fuels however I think you would agree that even 8:1 is a mite on the low side for methanol with glow plug ignition - whether that would be considered so with spark ignition I'm not certain but Malcolm Stride gives 8:1 / 9:1 for such a set up so maybe.

There's no reference on the revised drawing regarding fuel type so one can only assume the revised head is still for use with petrol
which is certainly my intention rather than switching to methanol though the petrol today is far from that available when this engine was designed  ::)

Just seen the last two posts. You only need the two Jo - one outer and one inner - absolutely nothing to a gal of your capabilities  ;)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:54 PM »
For cleaning filthy fingers you can't beat kneading bread dough. Whether you eat it afterwards is entirely up to you   ;)
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2014, 07:52:29 AM »
If you use wholemeal dough no one will know  :mischief:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »
For cleaning filthy fingers you can't beat kneading bread dough. Whether you eat it afterwards is entirely up to you   ;)

I'm guessing you work in the bakery at my local Lidl...

:LittleDevil:

AS

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
A few years back someone (might have been Martin Evans) from Model Engineer was visiting a school. mainly the metal work dept, but looked in on the cooking class, and one of the pupils commented that the dough don't arf clean your finger nails!
                                          Ian S C

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2014, 07:02:50 PM »
Well,  whilst you are still trying to get something to run on a medium other than air or steam :facepalm:, I'll give you my two hand cleaning secrets. 1. Bag balm, yup, just like the old dairy farmer uses to keep himself and the old gal (well actually the wife also)  8) happy and supple thru the winter. Apply liberally, massage deeply, wash, and repeat. 2. Denture cleaning tablets. Drop three or four in a small bowl of water, just big enough to soak the old paws in, and watch the grime bubble away ;).

Cheers,
Big E

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:54 AM »
I thought everyone knew what Bag Balm was.  :lolb:

Dave

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
Big E I do not know what "Bag Balm" might be

I suspect it's one of those products which are made for the harsher and more primitive conditions in the colonies - designed to survive long periods of transportation through jungles and up rivers before finally getting to these far-flung colonial outposts on the backs of native bearers. Obviously they aren't needed (or suited) to use in the more central parts of the Empire, so we won't have heard of them...

:mischief: :mischief: :mischief:

AS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal