Author Topic: MAKING AN ALARM CIRCUIT  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
MAKING AN ALARM CIRCUIT
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
I don't know how interested anyone is about this but my security alarm failed at my shop and I set out to build it with parts I had on hand. I use these Idec smart relays alot in my work. They are very easy to program both in ladder logic and Function blocks. In which case I prefer to program in Function blocks. These relays come with eight programmable digital inputs. On the DC versions you can program four analog inputs from these eight to either 4-20ma or 0-10VDC. And analog expansion module can be added for analog outputs or if you prefer digital outputs. The outputs on this relay are rated 10 amp resistive output. Not bad for such a small device. the display can be used and the front cursor buttons programmed as inputs if desired. You can write messages in the display for each triggered events. You can programm this relay to do just about anything imagineable, so as you see it has a lot of uses.
I programmed this particular relay to meminic my old alarm system. And it just so happens my old system had digital pushbuttons to enter the code with and two status LED with a prealarm warning when you enter the building.
I have attached a photo of the relay and one of the program I used for this relay. One more thing these relays cost just over $100.

Hope you find it of interest.

Don
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:20:10 PM by Don1966 »

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
Re: MAKING AN ALARM CIRCUIT
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »
I use these relays all the time but I dont know the brand you are using. Looks like an Omron relay with a Siemens Logo programming interface. I use a lot of Schneider Zelio and they have a GSM module option which is good for alarm systems.

Offline Nerdz

• CT, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:14:31 AM »
I do this at work actually, well programming PLC's. They are much larger and some have integrated screens in them (actual screens). I use Idec Power supplies, and sometimes Idec switches. I use ladder logic to program the PLCs but the language you use looks graphical in nature.
-Chris

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:46 AM »
They both look like greek to me, but I still admire you guys and your expertise in these things and electronics in general. :)

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:31:11 AM »
Nice Don!

I can understand the code (usually) but when it comes to programming I can't maintain concentration long enough to get vary far.

Is this like a small PLC? it seems like the programming is somewhat different. Ladder logic vs the flow chart like interface.

Thanks for sharing,
Dave

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 03:50:50 AM »
I have no idea what Don said but it sounds great.
Best,
Stan

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 05:27:00 AM »
Looks interesting. Somehow it seems more complicated than I would think it needs to be, but the logic diagram seems to be a good way to set it up. It reminds me of PLDs (programmable logic devices) and GALs (Gate array logic) where you choose among various available functions and connect them with AND/OR gates to get what is needed. I never did a lot with them, mostly some of the early devices like PLS153 and PLS173 which were programmed by burning internal "fuses". I still have a few of them, and PLC16V8 and PLC20V8 which are EPROM based. These are 20/24 pin DIP devices. I used some MSDOS software called AMAZE and BLAST where you could set up a file with input bit patterns and see the outputs also as bits (pins). This was back in the middle 80s and early 90s and technology has advanced tremendously since then.

I used the PLDs to replace multiple TTL logic devices with a single IC, and it did save considerable board real estate. Also it made the design more proprietary and harder to copy, but it made future troubleshooting and repair more problematic. We still see some of the I/O boards I designed with these PLDs in old test sets that we mostly retrofit rather than try to repair. Now I prefer to design using PICs to accomplish most purposes, and many of them have configurable logic elements and multiple analog functions that rival some of the other programmable devices.

Here is some info on FPGAs:
http://www.xilinx.com/fpga/index.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_Gate_Array

And there are also programmable analog arrays, although they seem less popular:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_analog_array
http://anadigm.com/

Offline Nerdz

• CT, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
You probably can use Ladder logic on it, as Ive seen Mitsubishi sell those type of PLCs for small applications. I remember doing FPGA's in College. I didnt very much care for them, as I always thought that using a Microcontroller would be much easier and simpler (ie PIC, AVR, RaspPi, etc), but we only did simple stuff (like 7 segment displays). I couldnt see much use of them after that though. I would think implementing something like I2C in Hardware would just take up to much time.

Paul, Have you used the 16 Bit PICs at all? For the life of me I cant figure out what I can use it for. I bought the microstick II and its just been sitting. For all the applications I can think of, a 8 bit PIC would be just fine. I do like all the peripherals 16 bit pics come with though, plus they are getting cheaper than 8 bit PICs.
-Chris

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »
The largest PIC that I have used has been the PIC18F4455 in a 44 pin SMT package (also 40 pin DIP), and it has seemed to have all the bells and whistles I could ever want, and now I am focusing on even smaller but more advanced devices like the PIC12F1822 and PIC16F1823, for things like battery monitors and charge controllers where multiple processors with intercommunication are desirable. But where I do some of my paid design work, ETI, they have hired a consultant who has specified a 32 bit PIC32MX processor for a redesign of an old instrument I designed around 1995 that uses a Z180 core that is now becoming obsolete. I had wanted to use the PIC18F4455 or similar, since I was familiar with it and already had much similar firmware written for it, but they decided on the 16 bit part. I just did a quick price check and some of the PIC32 devices are only about $2-3 in moderate quantities which is less than the PIC4455 and much more capable. So I see a sort of expansion at the high end and a little on the low end while there may soon be not much in the middle. Kinda like people in our economy?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:42:48 AM by PStechPaul »

Offline Nerdz

• CT, USA
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
Yea, I saw Microchips price points on some of their 32 Bit Stuff. Im thinking its to compete with Arduino. I have a small project where I used the 12F1840 (8 pin) PIC to control the charge of a LiFePO4 battery. It *sort* of works. The source code works but something is off its operation. If your interested I can give it to you (its pretty small). I wrote it in XC8, microchips free C compiler.

There was one application where a 16 Bit *might* fit in. I wanted to monitor power usage of my house, but upon doing all the calculations, a 8 bit PIC wouldnt have been fast enough. The Code would be easy (read from ADC, do math and display the result), but its mostly hardware integration that stands in my way. As a PIC user, I dislike the fact that everything is now Arduino.

I have thought of getting a Raspberry Pi, but I personally dont have a use for something that powerful.
-Chris

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »
Guys I did some work with the PIC controller but got disinterested. With the compact PLC's now a days designing around control is very flexible and takes less time to modify. I use HMI interface to view and control. Now with MOD BUS  interface you can control just about anything you want with a simple interface.
Unless you just want a simple circuit PLCs are the way to go. The IDEC  Smart relay is a simple and cheap device which is the same as a Siemens Logo because Idec makes it for Siemens. This device can be interfaced into any control from generator start circuit to steering control. You dream it program it.

Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
While this is all Greek to me, I'm wondering,do you think you could program some of these thingees to make my employees do what I want? :lolb:

Turnip Greens

fcheslop

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 04:30:44 PM »
Thanks Don, As I no longer get the opportunity to play with electrical toys any more its nice to at least get the chance to see whats available
And it still made sense :o thought Id forgotten the old logic :Lol:
Used to play with Mitsi and Allen Bradly plcs and worked for Fanuc for a while. Now that is a factory to visit ;)
cheers
frazer   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal