Author Topic: If You Are Willing  (Read 22400 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: If You Are Willing
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2014, 01:28:27 AM »
Thanks for the update Eric......That wasn't a very bright thing to say to you about the old one now is it... :slap:

:facepalm:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2014, 02:42:27 AM »
Eric I am glad to see they have made it right. My mill head is still not back yet and haven't heard anything either. I hope it goes good for me as well. They sent me a survey to fill out about my experience with my recent complaint and how it was handled, but till I get it back I'm not filling out anything.

Don

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2014, 04:44:16 AM »
Good stuff.  Really glad it worked out and they came through. Too long, though.
Just wondering how many of the grinders had that issue?
Best,
Stan

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2014, 07:07:12 AM »
Glad you have got your money back

But the way they are recouping their losses is beyond believe , but I am not suprised

Unless it is clearly labeled that it is not machined correctly some poor sucker will buy as seen and be out

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:27 AM »
Big E,

Now that is finally behind you it must be time to have a play with some castings  8).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
I very glad it's all been sorted out, at least to Eric's partial satisfaction (he doesn't have a grinder !)

I find it extraordinary that we can now contemplate buying a new surface grinder for use in a hobby workshop.  40 years ago such a thing would seem to have been impossible, the precision required to make these machines priced them well out of the amateur's pocket, even in the US  ;) .  I guess we just have to be prepared to do the final QA.

I'm reminded of one of the Flanders and Swann jokes from the early 1960's.  Flanders referred to the recently introduced tests for motor vehicle road worthiness.  At first they were for cars of 10 years old, then reduced to 6 years.  In the future they planned to reduce the term to 3 years.  Flanders commented that there were thoughts that they might even decide to test them before leaving the factory!

Cheers,

Rod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh-wEXvdW8 (In case F & S are new to you)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:47:51 PM by tangler »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
Good on you for staying on their case Eric, and following this through till the very end. There really isn't any excuse for that type of problem on a piece of equipment of that type, and I do feel sorry for the poor sucker that "pays the freight" so to speak at the tent sale. Their business model obviously leaves a lot to be desired, but I am truly happy you came out well, even if still minus a grinder.

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »
Eric,
Though I have not posted on your thread to date I have never the less followed your trials and tribulations through from the very beginning. It's gratifying to know that you are no longer out of pocket but oh so disappointing when you do not have what you had really hoped for at the outset.

I spent many years surface and form grinding using a very old and tatty looking Jones and Ship 1400 which never ever failed to 'do the business' - it's accuracy totally beyond any expectations of it's truly poor appearance. It really was the epitomy  of 'You can't tell the jam by the label'.

I hope you are now able to find a machine to fill that gap in your machining facilities that you obviously wanted to fill. I do miss that grinding facility - I spent many hours of free time using it to augment home workshop projects - but there's no space for one so it's back to draw filing when need must ::)

Good luck with what ever you replace it with

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
I very glad it's all been sorted out, at least to Eric's partial satisfaction (he doesn't have a grinder !)

Exactly what I was thinking as I read through the post.

Well I hope you got some satisfaction.
Have you thought about what you're going to do for a grinder? You still want one right?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline jonesie

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »
hi whiskey, if you look on craigs list under MEADVILLE PA, there is a tool shop listing two harig 512 griners with readouts for $1700 each . look under tools and back a few days not sure with day this week i seen then listed. they looked good from the pics all cleaned up. i use one of these in my toolroom at work and they are a nice well build small grinder. i do not know how far it is from you but worth looking into . jonesie

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
Thanks guys for all the comments. As Steamer and Stuart both eluded to, not a good thing for a customer to hear or a good way to recoup their losses on the machine; send it back to the fer Easterners that made it or scrap it, just my opinion. Yes guys I'd still like to have a grinder and a vertical saw and a small shaper. I guess I'll always keep wanting and all the more reason I keep pushing the rib, sausage, and butt meat daily  :lolb:. When I quit wanting or wanting to learn, then it's all over. I haven't posted much lately, although following along with everyones builds daily. At the moment I am involved in a 1:1 restoration of a 1966 Mecury Cyclone GT. it's a "sentimental build" for my father. And folks let me tell you, if you think machine tools are high, get you some alloy trim restored or buy some parts for a car that only 2616 were made.  But, last Monday when that 3/4" wrench slammed into my bottom lip I remember why I started working with 0-80's and 2-56's. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested and I can't wait to get back to making swarf and caressing castings (Jo :Love:).

Y'all come see us,
Whiskey

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »
Now please don't call me a temptress  :mischief:, ok so it is not as good as a nice set of castings but when you say a small shaper :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2014, 08:43:20 PM »
Yo Eric,

Glad you repaired your bank balance. Gotta say I'm disappointed at Grizzlies recovery procedure. No doubt their contract with their Asian supplier has them tied in lots of knots covering returns and who pays what.

I have a lathe, a mill and a power hacksaw. Now if it came to a choice between a surface grinder and a small shaper, I would opt for the shaper, ( a powered one of course because I'm naturally lazy). Hey that's just me so whatever floats your boat.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2014, 02:03:43 AM »
Shapers are Cool! 8)

I don't own one but my buddy has a nice Vernon that I can use anytime I want.

Dave

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
 NOTICE! I'm about to hijack this thread.
Being completely clueless about shapers (although I've seen them in action on YouTube), what can one do with a shaper that can't be done on a mill? Do I want one?
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal