Author Topic: Dieter Hartmann-Wirthwein patent engine  (Read 42578 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Dieter Hartmann-Wirthwein patent engine
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »
Following along Gail. Really nice thread. Interesting and educational.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »
Thanks Kim and Zee.  I try :).

With all the parts made, I made a holding fixture to support them while soldering.  It is just a length of 1/4 inch diameter aluminum rod turned down for about an inch to an easy fit in the cup.  A little taper was filed on the end to make it easy to fit into the cup. The rod was split on the band saw and the cut deburred. The cut part was then spread a little bit with a screwdriver so it would grip the inside of the cup. It does not take much as all it is doing is hold things while soldering. Besides the rod will probably open up some when it is split.  The reason for making it an easy fit in the cup is to minimize the heat transfer from the cup to the fixture while soldering.  Here it is clamped in a small vice ready to use.
Gail in NM

I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2014, 06:54:43 PM »
Solder preforms were made to do the actual soldering. l also used some electrical non corrosive solder flux paste.

The preforms were made by by winding some 0.020 diameter (0.5mm) electronic solder around an 1/8 inch rod.

I put this spring shaped coil on an index card with the card on a hard flat surface and inserted a hobby knife with a #11 blade in the coil and cut the coils apart by pressing down and drawing the knife out.  The card protects the edge of the blade and lets the blade cut all the way through the solder.  Then I cut a small segment out of each coil with the knife. When cutting the coils apart the blade will expand each coil a bit so the cutout lets the coil close up to be a snug fit around the nipple. Besides a full ring of solder is more than needed to make a good joint.

A small amount of flux is put on the end of the nipple.  There is usually some in the lid of my flux container so I just scrape a little of that onto the nipple.  Only a small amount is needed.  If I can see that I have some on the part that is enough.  If I can see it easily then that is too much. The flux makes the nipple end sticky enough that a solder ring will stick to it when the nipple is pressed down into it.  I inserted the nipple into the cup and a little twisting motion distributes some flux around inside the cup recess.  The solder ring was pressed down to conform to the joint.  I find it is easier to do all this with the parts held in my finger before putting them on the fixture.  The assembly was then slid onto the fixture.

A small torch was used to heat the bottom of the cup until the solder flowed.  If heated from the bottom the nipple is not over heated.  Soon as the solder flows into the joint remove  the heat and let cool.
Gail in NM

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
Old Abe showing off a finished cup assembly and two cups installed.
Gail in NM

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »
Gail,
Very nice. I like the solder fixture and the tips on making small nuts a lot. I am really enjoying this thread.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2014, 08:14:42 PM »
Another great installment Gail

I like your solder fixture; I will file that one away for later.

I would love to see a picture of your little CNC lathe.

Dave

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
Thanks for the comments Dan and Dave.

Dave:  I may have mislead you when I said "little" CNC lathe.  It is small by industrial standards but large by hobby standards.  It weighs about 1200 pounds and has a 2 HP servo motor for the spindle power.  I bought it in 1991 so it has rather old features and a quirky controller that uses non standard programing.  But the price was right and I am so used to the controller that it does not bother me. A photo is attached.

Since it was still set up for the oil cups i shot a quick video of it making one.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWViItLfIEY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWViItLfIEY</a>

YouTube has me completely screwed up. A couple of weeks ago when I uploaded a video I had the option of using my old account or creating an new Google channel.  I used my old account.  Now that option has disappeared and they created and new Google channel from within my old account with no options.  There is some way to link them to each other but I have not figured out how.  I will wait until they get their instructions sorted out before I mess around.  But if anyone is interested my old videos are at:
https://www.youtube.com/user/nmsteam/videos
until I mess around trying to link them and lose them. :rant:
Gail in NM

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »
Hi Gail

What a cool toy!

Thanks for the viedo and picture.

We have a CNC lathe on order for the shop where I work; it is a Hardinge HLV style made by Sharp and has a Fagor controller on it. Should be fun to learn, and yes I will be able to use it for my own projects :whoohoo:

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal