Author Topic: Bridewell beam engine and the Stothert and Pit engine  (Read 107653 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Bridewell beam engine and the Stothert and Pit engine
« Reply #300 on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:32 AM »
I need to realign the beam and cylinder positions to centralise the engine to look and be correct. Two tubes were turned up to push the beam over about 10 thou to stop the motion fouling up. I also need to reposition the cylinder mounting to bring it back in line with the beam and table. lots of summer distractions i'm afraid, so work is rather slow.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #301 on: August 02, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
Still working on the engine ,tidying up all the bits and slightly adjusting dimensions so every thing runs smoothly. Thinking about painting,might do a different colour scheme, as here in Norfolk    'we dew difrunt' .........

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
Norfolk? Whereabouts? 

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »
Norfolk? Whereabouts? 
Norwich Duke St

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
the days are getting shorter and the nights longer ,so more time in the WKSP ! the next job is to make the steam chest cover look more Presentable by giving it the appearance of a casting. This is done by adding a shim of brass to the otherwise flat plate that is cut out and affixed to the plate. This could have been done by chemical milling/etching, but that should have been thought about earlier and done using a larger plate to stop any FeCl3 seeping round the edges, etc etc . The shim is attached to a piece of paxolin/SRBP to stop any distortion and to hold the shim firmly whilst filing. The location holes are drilled from the cover and the paxolin is dreaded..(Drilled and threaded) then the shim is retained using small and large washers to use as a filing guide. Vis. The holes in the shim and paxolin were drilled the tapping size first and when tapped, the tap was used to open out the shim hole by turning the tap the full depth of thread up to the unthreaded portion. this gave the clearance hole accurately in the shim.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:01:20 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2014, 01:35:21 AM »
the front front cover has now been filed on the inside, however it would have been an advantage to use silver steel,hardened large washers.The cover has now been assembled and the outside, needs to be filed to dimension.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #306 on: August 30, 2014, 02:31:46 AM »
Willy your work is fascinating to watch. You have fabricated and filed just about every part on this engine. Just awesome work and I am still following you bud.  :praise2:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
Willy your work is fascinating to watch. You have fabricated and filed just about every part on this engine. Just awesome work and I am still following you bud.  :praise2:

:popcorn:
Don

Thanks for the comments, I think i am actually a pattern maker but in metal and at 1/12 scale !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2014, 01:51:38 AM »
steamchest 'cast' cover. the long 9BA bolts with the 10BA nuts will be shortened in due course.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #309 on: September 08, 2014, 12:12:52 AM »
Next job is the 8 sided piston rod and valve rod glands. I have not got a filing rest so am making one using the vertical slide. I drilled two 16mm holes in a 1" square bar inserted 16mm silver steel rod and used 16X20 needle roller bearings to support the file. this needs to be finished off but it seems a really quick and easy way to make this item also you can use the graduations on the vert slide without getting the angles so correct in the usual file rest.................

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2014, 01:40:23 PM »
Can't see why that won't work Willy, looks the goods. You'll show us it in action?

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2014, 02:05:36 AM »
Can't see why that won't work Willy, looks the goods. You'll show us it in action?

Cheers, Hugh.
hi Hugh, here is the file rest in action ! and test bit,it works ok, however i shall modify it a bit before i file up the proper  parts....... i will post a pic of the indexing device when i have recharged the battery ! yes there are 8 sides !!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2014, 09:13:36 AM »
Thanks Willy, I'll have to make one of those. Nice finish on the nut sides, does the end get faced? Hugh.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »
If you only have a few bits to file up, say a hex head bolt, or nut, or the octagonal above, it's usually much quicker to use the filing rest than set up the rotary table in the mill, and when you'v finished filing, it's all ready to chamfer the corners without having to take it off the mill, and setting up in the lathe again.
                                                              Ian S C

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
That's looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Not long now  :)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal