Author Topic: Modding a Spindexer  (Read 24400 times)

Bogstandard

Modding a Spindexer
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »
This is another transfer post that I hope will encourage a few people to have a go.

#######################################################################################

Before I start on this post, I will mention that this was done to a brand new spindexer, and the unit as purchased was perfectly good for what it is intended to do. I did the modifications purely to make it easier for me to set up on the mill and to allow it to be used in my vice.

Basically, what I am going to do is make the base of the unit smaller to allow it to fit in my vice jaws, and to fit a bar onto the bottom to allow it to be dropped into one of the t-slots on the mill bed, clamp down and be ready for use without having to level it all up first.

This is what one looks like when it falls apart, with a bit of help from me.
The only difference with this one, is that it has been modified by the retailer to accept both 5c and ER32 collets, in fact, a John Stevenson one from Arc Euro.

Half way down the page

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/5C-Fixtures

Because I want to fit this without having to check for levels, I needed a datum to work with. The only component that fits the bill is the unit's spindle. Get this level with the table and square to the already checked for squareness t-slots, and work from that.
In a previous post from my workshop rebuild, I made some brass bar that was a nice push fit into the t-slots. I cut it into two, and put them into the table slots, as shown. Then pushed a matched pair of v-blocks against the slot blocks, and popped the spindle into the v's.
While the spindle was in this position, I carefully checked for runout along the top.

Then against the side face. Everything was spot on.

I now had the datum I could work to. So the main casting was assembled onto the spindle upside down and everything was clamped up, making sure the spindle was down into the V's and the V's were against the slot blocks. The spindle was then clamped down by using a bit of thick wall tubing through it and a couple of table clamps. The main casting was then jacked and clamped in position, plus they were adjusted so that when a circular tram was done on the base, everything was in the right position and level.
The base was skimmed with a 3 thou cut using a fly cutter, just to give me a guaranteed square and level face in relation to the spindle.

If you squint and look at the area in the middle on the circle, it shows the fly cutting machining pattern. If you can see both fwds and back cutting patterns overlapping, that is a sure sign your tramming for the head is spot on.
Lesson over, get on with the job. I had a piece of BMS bar that fitted perfectly into the slots on the table. A slot was cut into the base, exactly the same width as the bar (and slots).

The bar was fitted into the groove, to check there was no side play.

Bar was clamped, drilled and counterbored. The base casting was drilled and tapped to match the holes on the location bar.
Everything was cleaned up and the bar screwed into its final position.

I machined the bar to a thickness of about 1/4" protruding above the baseplate, and rounded over the edges. This ensured it will fit nicely into the table slots, without getting itself jammed on the bits of rough stuff or machining marks in the slots.
That was the location bit sorted, now for getting it so that it fits in my vice. Front to back was no problem as that was under the 4" (plus a bit) my vice jaws open, side to side was the problem, so I decided to remove 1/2" from each side face to get me within easy fitting limits.

The location bar needed to be cleaned up on the ends anyhow, so I took a skim off both casting end faces at the same time. Because I had set up the datum on the spindle, all cuts on the base will be perfectly square to the said spindle, so why not get everything done at the same time.

The side faces then had the 1/2" removed from either side.
Now is the time to find out if my setup and machining is out of wack.
A good clean down and basic assembly of the unit. This was then clamped to the table (no hand detectable side play in the slots). A collet and bar was fitted and the whole lot trammed up.

Half a thou runout along the top face, from the collet to about 4" out.

Along the side face, for the same checking distance, just over 1.5 thou. I expected this because of the minor imperfections in the table slots. I am very happy to work with those sorts of tolerances, in the knowledge I could most probably only have got that close using a manual setup anyway. To have it as a drop in and clamp, no further checking, grins all round.

Now for a few mods that I thought necessary.
Firstly, the main disc isn't locked onto the main spindle, so a bit of rough machining could cause it to move out of register as the spindle rotated inside the disc. I did a quick check, hoping to put a small locking pin between the two, the disc was soft enough, but the spindle was too hard to drill. So I assembled the disc, spindle and locking collar using Loctite engineering adhesive. That, hopefully, should prevent anything untowards happening.
The next little mod was to drill a lubrication hole and cup into the casting. Just to put a drop of thin oil in, and keep everything turning smoothly.
I am a bit of a stickler in that things should be right. The little Chinese chap that had stamped the indicator mark to show angle position, was either cross eyed or he had a bit too much rice wine the night before, because it was showing a couple of degrees out. I just machined out the old mark and popped one of my own on there in the correct position.

Back end.

Front end.

Not shown, but the whole unit fits nicely into my vice both ways. So it can be set down onto a couple of parallels or blocks and it will save me having to remove the vice from the table if I want a quickie bit of indexing done.

Job done, very pleased with the results.

John

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Modding a Spindexer
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:52:36 PM »
I'll be doing the same on the new Clausing John!   Nice post friend!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
What do you typically use the indexer for?
And Dave, please show so I can copy what you are doing.
Mosey

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
Terrific John! I am very glad to see this thread here at MEM. It has always been one of my favorites and is a really good modification to make to the lowly spin-indexer. It certainly transforms them into a very useful bit of kit. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Arbalest

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
Nice one John. This is going to be very useful for new owners of a spin indexer!  :praise2:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »
Thanks John, my list just keeps growing of things to do.

Don

Offline _Paul_

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
John, thanks for posting that it's something else I would like to do.

Regards

Paul

Bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:17 PM »
Mosey,

A normal spin indexer uses 5C collets, and it allows you to rotate a piece part in increments of 1 degree around the 360 degree circumference of the part.
So say you wanted 30 flats machining around the piece, just turn the indexer by 12 degree increments between each cut, or the same when it comes to drilling holes. As long as you are working to full degrees, and the number required is divisible to a full number into 360 then you will have no problems.

The advantage of the Stevensons one (only available from RDG) is that it can use er32 collets as well.

John

John

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »
Nice job thanks for sharing.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 01:55:07 PM »
Mosey,

A normal spin indexer uses 5C collets, and it allows you to rotate a piece part in increments of 1 degree around the 360 degree circumference of the part.
So say you wanted 30 flats machining around the piece, just turn the indexer by 12 degree increments between each cut, or the same when it comes to drilling holes. As long as you are working to full degrees, and the number required is divisible to a full number into 360 then you will have no problems.

The advantage of the Stevensons one (only available from RDG) is that it can use er32 collets as well.

John

John

I asked to understand the choice between a rotary table on it's side vs a Spindexor. Thanks, now I think I need the Spindexor too.

Offline Chris J

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
Mosey,

John

John

I asked to understand the choice between a rotary table on it's side vs a Spindexor. Thanks, now I think I need the Spindexor too.

I'd be interested too.

Who sells the spindexer in the UK ? Is it spindexor or spindexer ?

Arbalest

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »
Arceurotrade sell it Chris.

I forgot to add in my earlier post that following John's excellent tutorial the first time I duly modded mine but also added slots to the base for clamping with bolts and T nuts.

Offline Chris J

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
Arceurotrade sell it Chris.

I forgot to add in my earlier post that following John's excellent tutorial the first time I duly modded mine but also added slots to the base for clamping with bolts and T nuts.

Always just one step further with you Vic  :)

Nice mod though, in what way do you use it ?
I'm guessing that for indexing round bars it would be better than a table maybe ?

Arbalest

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »
The last time I used it Chris was to make a form wheel for bending 4mm stainless tube round. John (once again!) came up with the idea of rotating the stock in the indexer and slowly making a cut with a ball nosed end mill. This is instead of trying to grind a half round form tool and turning on the Lathe. I hasten to add I would not have thought of doing it as John suggested. I've also used it to make hex nuts etc and cutting flats on round bars. As it can use ER32 collets and I can drop the unit in my vice jobs like this have virtually zero set up time.

PS I had to do the additional mod as it would have been trickier to clamp it to my mill table (when not used in the vice) - John has a bigger milling machine than mine!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:53:59 PM by Arbalest »

Bogstandard

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
Another thing that needs to be remembered, 5C collets can also be had to hold square and hex bar as well.

Chris, if you look just above the first picture in my post, you will see the Arc Euro link to it.

As already mentioned, a spin indexer, if care is taken, can also be used like a vertically mounted RT if you want to blend things together or cut basic slots around the circumference, in fact they can do a fair bit more than just a basic indexer, if you put your mind to it.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal