Author Topic: My Demon V8 build  (Read 158196 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: My Demon V8 build
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2015, 12:50:05 AM »
Thanks Don!
 I know they will get used eventually.
    My material showed up tonight so maybe tomorrow I'll get started on the rest of the gears since I have the 48 pitch tool made up. I decided to make the whole gear train from brass. I've used brass gears in several other engines and they have held up good so I'm going to chance it and hope they hold up here as well.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2015, 01:08:01 AM »
Ok got a little time in the shop turned up  gear blanks for the idler gears.and turned up a mandrel to hold them set them up and cut them. One more thing done. I'll see if I can get some time tomorrow again and get the cam or crank gears done. Kind of wish I would have gotten A axis when I purchased my CNC mill.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2015, 01:40:32 AM »
The gears look great Doc, did you make the cutter or purchased one?

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2015, 01:52:54 AM »
Thanks Don.

I grind up my own cutters for gears. I have various plastic gears I have salvaged over the years and I use them as a pattern when grinding up the cutter. The 48DP I almost needed to get my magnifying glass to see, the old eyes aren't what they use to be.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2015, 01:14:56 AM »
Well dad-burn-it I was 3/4 of the way done with the cam gears and I had a brain fart! Miss indexed and scraped them. My mind just wasn't into it tonight.
   Had a day at work that kind of sucked. I've been requesting different work hours at work and they told me nope so I basically turned in my notice they have until April 3rd if they don't retirement here I come. over 40 years at this place and they refuse to do me a favor so I think it's time!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2015, 02:45:47 AM »
Bummer Doc and I hate it when I get those days. I just as well shut it down when that happens. So do we have retirement in the cards here?

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Don,
 I really hate to think about entering retirement as I do love my job but hate the hours. It is all hanging in the balance right now they have until April to decide if they will change my hours (but I don't think that will happen) so then I'll need to decide weather to pull the plug and move on but it will be hard as it has been my life for over 40 years. On the upside if it goes that way I will have more home shop time like I want  ;)

Anyway today I'll see if I can get the last set of gears made up and being I'm starting over I'm going to stray from the plans again and make the hubs of the cam gear a 1/2 dia instead of 3/8 to give them a little more wall thickness for the set screws that hold it in place. If I get through that I'm going to attempt to set up the CNC machine to do some lathe work and try and machine spark plugs. I think I have a plan that should work (some day I need to purchase a small lathe and convert it to cnc)
 Well it's -12F degrees so its a good day to stay inside and work in the shop so off to the shop.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:00:20 PM by Doc »

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:54 AM »
Well I set up and bored the distributor holes in the intake and block.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #233 on: March 08, 2015, 01:39:46 AM »
Ok set the CNC mill up as a lathe and gave it a try. I made a post to spit out the code but I found it turned the parts better with just one cut and no rough and finishing. Anyway works like a charm I had my wife video it with her Ipod and I uploaded it to you tube.
 I'll get a few turned up tomorrow and then start the base for them and the brass contacts.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg9e320KPUY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg9e320KPUY</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4oaKcZLx4Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4oaKcZLx4Y</a>

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #234 on: March 08, 2015, 01:53:42 AM »
Well I turned up about a dozen I'll turn up a few more tomorrow. It only took about 45 min to turn these up. I'm liking it I may turn the brass end contacts up this way too. The base's I'll go back to the lathe for them.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2015, 12:41:30 AM »
Well didn't do a lot in the shop today I did a few more plug insulators a total of 22 so a few extra. I did get the wire hole drilled in them all so they are ready to go next the brass contact ends.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #236 on: March 09, 2015, 02:55:36 AM »
With 22 of those I would say you have quiet q few extras there Doc. You spit them out pretty quick.
I can relate to liking my job also and I am at the crossroad of retiring or not. I have loved my work for over 48 yrs now and I know I would miss it. Even though it would give me plenty of time in the shop it,s still hard to do.  :Love:  Still following you bud.

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2015, 03:09:50 AM »
Well getting cold outside and yard and garden work is winding down time to start thinking about getting some build time in on my V8 build. It's been setting on the shelf all some and is now calling to me again ;) I did sharpen some end mills the other day and I'm getting the itch to make some chips.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »
Glad to hear. Waiting patiently for pix
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2015, 12:30:41 AM »
Ok I got a little side tracked and spent some time sharpening all my dull end mills and I finally got back to the V-8 stuff.

I started back on the spark plugs. I went with a 8-40 thread. I turned up one base and was going to swage the insulator in but you think I could find the die and punch set I made up (nope) some where in my shop there is a die and punch set hiding from me. So I ended up making a new set. I did get one plug completed. so tomorrow I will set up and do a bunch of plug bases I plan on doing them in 3 set ups 1st turn up the threaded end then 2nd load into a holding mandrel and turn up the other side for the insulator. then 3rd cut hex and then they should be ready for swagging.

Here is a short vid
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdFgzIWpGc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdFgzIWpGc</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal