Author Topic: My Demon V8 build  (Read 156472 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: My Demon V8 build
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »
 I've really been under the weather all week haven't gone to work at all. First they thought I might have the flu but that was neg then maybe pneumonia neg and they tested for strep but all they could tell be it's a bad cold and gave me some prescription cough syrup. So I haven't stopped work on the project just haven't made it to the shop. The other cam is setup in the lathe calling to me. Plus I have some graphics I want to run and see how the will look. This I think is the worst cold I have ever had and did have pneumonia  about 6 or 7 years ago.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »
Going on 3 weeks and still not feeling well. I went out in the shop and made about 4 cuts on the cam that's waiting on the lathe and just couldn't do.
   I still feel horrible  This is really sucking I may push it and try again this after noon. Doctor says it's just a bad cold (over 2 weeks?) really. At least the cough syrup has stopped the trying to cough up a lung basically a hydrocodone syrup I take it and within a few minutes I feel buzzed.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
Well went out in the shop but being I felt so buzzed I didn't want to mess up on the lathe or worse get hurt I opted to play around with some drag etching on my CNC there the spindle not running and control moving machine me just watching. I set up the engraving tool with a medium spring it has just over a 1/4 inch of spring travel I touched off on a old hard drive disk double back taped on plate mounted to machine table and adjusted down .05, so .05 of the .25 travel.
  With a medium spring I felt was a little too deep so I switched to a light spring and tried a couple other it looked good so I think I will stick with a light spring tension. I attached some photos don't know if you can make them out or not.

Even doing just this I was pooped I'll give it another try tomorrow if I can keep from coughing up a lung without the cough syrup I just don't feel comfortable running a lathe with a buzz on plus I don't want to mess up the cam and have to start over (or wreck the fixture or break something)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2015, 09:55:24 PM »
  Well finally feeling better. Got out in the shop and did a little on the lathe. Still feel like I'm dragging butt the coughing is gone and not taking any medicine. After about 11 or twelve cuts I decided I wanted to work on the mill a little so started the valve covers.
I grabbed a drop end chunk of aluminum some 7075 T6 and cut 4 pieces in the band saw and started squaring them up.
  The plan is to write a little program for my CNC to drill and counter bore holes then flip and cut the inside. Then back to the mill to cut outside to size. I'll work some more on the lathe in the morning to try and get the second cam shaft done. I was hoping to get the valve train done this winter and get a start on the distributor but this illness has put the halt on that I'll be lucky to get the valve train done.

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2015, 10:05:51 PM »
Hi Doc
Glad to see you feeling better Mate  :ThumbsUp:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2015, 10:28:09 PM »
Thanks Pete your build is looking awesome!
Well I'm heading back out and work on the lathe a bit more before supper.

Here is a vid taking a .200 cut with a 1.25 inch 2 flute carbide inserted cutter
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWOgfzKe-no" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWOgfzKe-no</a>

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2015, 01:00:47 AM »
Wheew ok finished second cam now to work on the valve covers.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:45 AM »
Nice looking cams Doc and glad to see you feeling better.

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
Thanks Don!
Didn't get any shop time today I ended up having to work overtime and sounds like the week will be the same.
So probably won't get back to it again until Friday.
 I will get a program put together for the Valve covers and start looking at the distributor and ignition stuff.

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2015, 04:38:24 AM »
Hi Doc
What ignition system are you going for?
I want to order something this week maybe
maybe something with built in advance.
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »
I'm planning on sticking to what Steve used in the Demon, Which is a CDI from S/S Machine. I've used these before but only on single cylinder engines.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2015, 09:53:25 PM »
I'm planning on sticking to what Steve used in the Demon, Which is a CDI from S/S Machine. I've used these before but only on single cylinder engines.

Tell roy you want the "high speed" board. He replaces a capacitor on the board and it will give 24,000 SPI instead of the rated 12,000

24,000 / 4 = 6000 RPM (8 cylinder sparks 4 times per revolution)

I think the 12,000 is conservative. I have the standard board in my V8 and it revs alot higher than 3000RPM   
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:14 AM »
Thanks Steve!
Well I hope to get some time on Saturday for my build but the morning will be spent helping a friend out on some exhaust parts for his Rat Rod. He was my former supervisor he has an awesome rat rod. Any way I haven't gotten the valve covers done yet then after that the distributor.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2015, 12:01:24 AM »
Well I got a couple hours shop time this afternoon. I worked on the valve covers I drilled the holes from the top then ground up a flat bottom drill and did the counter bores.
I set up the cnc for the profile and milled that and that was it for today.
 I do have the distributor and all the components for it modeled up in cad so as soon as I get the valve covers done the plan is to move to it next. I did check on the high speed CDI ignition from S/S and Roy said no problem just let him know when I'm ready for it so if I get far enough along on it before the weather gets nice I'll be ordering that. I do plan on making my own spur gears but am going to order the bevel gears.
  Any way I did get my friends parts done for him and he actually ran the machine himself after I got it set up for him yesterday. It was kind of fun having another person in the shop to BS with.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »
Valve covers look great Doc and looking at the 1 2 3 block the real size comes to life.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal