Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
From Plans / Re: Senft "Poppin" engine
« Last post by Brian Rupnow on Today at 02:24:36 PM »
My ball bearings came in yesterday. They are shielded bearings, not sealed. They should turn more freely than sealed bearings because the shields don't really touch the inner race. I may still have to wash the grease out of them in a solvent bath--will know about that later. Today I hope to make the crankshaft.
Chatterbox / Re: Snow Fear
« Last post by Alyn Foundry on Today at 02:15:51 PM »
Just hit the North Wales border....

With a vengeance!!

Cheers Graham.
Chatterbox / Re: Snow Fear
« Last post by Twizseven on Today at 01:57:06 PM »
Lichfield area, it keeps snowing for 5 mins, melting  over next 10 mins and then starting the cycle over again.  0 degrees.

I used to like the stuff and driving in it (RS2000 Escort with LSD and snow tyres - great fun  :cartwheel:) now its just a pain in the butt  :ThumbsDown: especially when working away.

Your Own Design / Re: Stirling engine
« Last post by Doc on Today at 01:13:50 PM »
  Thanks Ian !
    I was thinking along that line I am thinking a piece  of corian for a base under the whole thing. Yes I do use a vacuum a lot on the mill trouble is doesn't seem to work very well on small end mills to get the chips out of the way. I need to come up with a smallish nozzle for the vacuum to get it where it will pull the chips a way. The nice thing it really wasn't much dust mostly chips that were along the line of feathers. May have had the feed-rate a little to slow I wasn't sure of the sfpm so I used aluminum feed rate and just increased it a little. I'm not up on feeds and speeds for plastics.
Chatterbox / Re: Talking Thermodynamics
« Last post by paul gough on Today at 01:13:32 PM »
Hi MJM, Thank you indeed for the very well communicated summary of radiative losses, and in particular for the worked example pertaining to one side of my little firebox. Having quantifications for losses goes a long way in allowing one to get a feel for what is happening and also allows one to make a considered choice as to whether some action should be taken to reduce it. I am very grateful for all the time you put in chasing the convective and radiative losses as well as the broader guide through the 'thorn thicket' of thermodynamics. Regards, Paul Gough.
Oddball / Re: Colibri Hummingbird Dynamic Sculpture - WIP
« Last post by ShopShoe on Today at 01:08:39 PM »
I've been waiting for the video of the sculpture in motion. It's better than I imagined.

Congratulations on the the completion of this intricate and beautiful piece of art.

Introduce Yourself / Re: Hi from Canada
« Last post by gerritv on Today at 12:29:59 PM »
Welcome to the hobby/madness.

And thanks for  keeping us safe while we were in the air.

Vehicles & Models / Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Last post by crueby on Today at 12:21:16 PM »
Hi Chris,

As others have said some really good work, and at such a pace. The following may be of interest.

Yesterday I received the Spring issue of Equipment Echoes, (the journal of the Historical Construction Equipment Associaton (HCEA) based in Ohio, you probably know it already)

In it there is an interesting item on the Marion Model 91 shovel with a picture from the HCEA archives showing the machine at work. Apparently it was one of the machines originally used for the Panama Canal construction.

Last issue there was an article on the Marion Company itself.

Keep the elves happy
Jerry :happyreader:
I have heard of the hcea, but don't subscribe, have to go look that up. Thanks!

There were a number of model 91s used in Panama, stories at the quarry here claim this one was used there and brought back, but no documentation has been found to back that up, might be speculation, might be true, we don't know.
Chatterbox / Re: Snow Fear
« Last post by Jo on Today at 12:00:32 PM »
I can see where the snowdrops get their name from. I now have a whole garden of snowdrops  :)

Your Own Design / Re: " Nattie " Revisited.
« Last post by Alyn Foundry on Today at 12:00:19 PM »
Good morning All.


The main reason for the crankpin being in the counterbalance is that I couldn't move it forward enough,
" half hole " situation. My solution would be to remake a pair of webs once the " right " stroke was found.


No, Nattie isn't very big, the flywheel diameter is 4.8 inches. And yes somewhere in the workshop lies the other one. Although Mathew did, with a little help, build a Sterling cycle engine that also had one of those pretty wheels too!

I managed to find a little time yesterday to start on the replacement cylinder head. Amongst my " stash " are many lumps of cast Iron that came from " exothermic " mould feeders. These tubes were placed to act as risers and the nature of the material ensures the Iron remains molten long enough to feed a heavy casting. They measure 50 mm in diameter and by using the end that fed the mould ensures good quality material.

It was at this point I discovered I didn't have a parting off blade. Drat.... Improvisation time....
Luckily I have many pieces of square section HSS, I found a nice length of 3mm and sat it upon a home made mild Steel parallel, squared up, and set to. I was astounded, it actually worked! In fact there was far less chatter. Made a lovely dome!   :) but that's easily fixed.

The head is a light press fit into the cylinder, next operation will be the flame port slot and shutter guides.

Cheers Graham.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10