Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Shows / Re: NAMES - 2017
« Last post by Art K on Today at 01:58:48 AM »
Ok here's on more video. This takes me into the way back machine. My first car a 1968 Mercury Cyclone had this engine exept in full scale.
<a href="" target="_blank"></a>
George I love this engine it's a great runner.
Shows / Re: NAMES - 2017
« Last post by Art K on Today at 01:51:42 AM »
I'm home and some important tasks done, armed with the you tube password here goes. this first on I don't know who the owner was but I liked the motion of the rocking beam.  :)
<a href="" target="_blank"></a>
Someone may know what exactly this is.
Larry, this is your engine. I really liked the motion of the link arms that operated the valve.
<a href="" target="_blank"></a>
This is a Corlis steam engine.
<a href="" target="_blank"></a>
More later as I get around to more videos and I dont want to run into the wall of to many videos.
Vehicles & Models / Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Last post by Dave Otto on Today at 01:43:54 AM »
Nice update Kim!

Ah you suffer too, with the numbers switching places in your head.  :lolb:
I have to be very careful using MDI (manual data input) on the CNC mill because of this.

Vehicles & Models / Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Last post by crueby on Today at 01:38:18 AM »
Looking good Dog and still with you bud!...... :praise2:

Thanks Don!

Today was off doing family stuff most of the day, got in a little more paint work, and was about to do the crank pins when I spotted a brain fart on the plans, and the time went to fixing the 3d model and reprinting the con rod parts. Then time for a good nap!
Vehicles & Models / Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Last post by crueby on Today at 01:15:14 AM »

From Kits/Castings / Re: Benson's Vertical Steam Engine
« Last post by Kim on Today at 12:50:00 AM »
That is just stunning John!  Your engine really looks nice.  You'll have to make sure and show us the diorama too!
From Plans / Re: Another Tiny IC Engine
« Last post by Kim on Today at 12:47:13 AM »
Great work on the head. You re really moving on here Bill!
Vehicles & Models / Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Last post by Kim on Today at 12:28:58 AM »
I made several small parts today.  First off was the Steam Chest Cover.

I took a short piece of 1/8”x5/8” brass bar stock, squared it up and milled it to size, then drilled the six clearance holes.  I was careful to carry forward my transposed measurement for the center holes (it was supposed to be 0.531”, but I faithfully drilled it at 0.513” on the cylinder and the steam chest!).

Here’s the family shot for the cylinder so far:

And assembled.  I do plan to do studs & nuts eventually.

Next up was the Steam Chest Gland.  Here we started with 1/4" hex brass, turned it down to 0.190” and single pointed in 10-32 threads:

Drilled and reamed a 3/32” hole for the valve rod:

Parted it off:

Then flipped it around in a 3/16” collet and faced off the other end to length.

The final part for the day was the valve.  This started as a piece of 1/4"x5/8” brass bar.  I could have used 1/4"x1/2”, but I didn’t have me some of that.  So I went with the 5/8”. After milling it down to the specified size, I used a 1/16” mill to carve out the exhaust cavity.

Then turning it over, I cut the other side down to 1/4" wide:

And, using the 1/16” mill again, cut the slot for the valve rod.

Here are the two new pieces; the gland and the valve.

And a final shot of the gland safely stored in its home on the Steam Chest.

Next will likely be the valve rod, to be followed by the piston, cylinder covers and other sundry smallish parts of the engine.

Thanks for the visit,
Your Own Design / Re: Rockerblock I.C.--Something a little different-
« Last post by Brian Rupnow on April 29, 2017, 11:50:46 PM »
I was mistooken!!! Before I absolutely committed to a faceplate job, I had to try it in my four jaw. What do you know----it fit, barely. One jaw is out to the point where there are only two turns of the chuck key holding it, but it cleared the ways by about half an inch and tightened up just fine. After turning the spindle by hand, checking for clearances, I started the lathe on it's lowest speed (which is very slow indeed) and seeing that nothing was going to explode in my face, I ramped the speed up to 220 rpm and cut with an HSS tool. Everything seems to have went okay, and I'm finished with that set-up.
Vehicles & Models / Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Last post by Don1966 on April 29, 2017, 11:14:02 PM »
Looking good Dog and still with you bud!...... :praise2:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10