Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
From Kits/Castings / Re: AOG’s version of the Stuart S50 Engine
« Last post by Kim on Today at 05:47:17 PM »
That's a bummer about the quality of the Stuart castings  :(
But nice progress on many parts regardless! :ThumbsUp:
Your Own Design / Re: Designing the 1905 Regal
« Last post by Roger B on Today at 05:29:32 PM »
That's an interesting design, I will be following along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Chatterbox / Re: Stocking up for next year
« Last post by Roger B on Today at 05:28:30 PM »
Thank you all  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

I like to really understand how things work so always challenge myself. I think I can workout how to make the Junkers once I have got the fuel injection sorted. Machine the ports in the liner to get some swirl will be interesting, but possible. I have pictures of sectioned engines plus a parts manual to help (this is talking about the small engine produced by CLM for road transport rather than the big aero engines, too many cylinders for a start  ::) )

The axial engine needs some special bevel gears to guide the wobble plate (probably have to be home made  :headscratch: ) plus the 'big ends' to be resolved. The full size version seemed to use oil pressure to control the clearance to the wobble plate.
From Kits/Castings / Re: AOG’s version of the Stuart S50 Engine
« Last post by AOG on Today at 05:26:05 PM »
More good progress this weekend. That being said, I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the castings from Stuart. As of right now, every piece of cast iron in this kit with the exception of the base casting has been chilled. I have spent almost as much in replacing blunted and broken tooling as I did on the model itself. The next part, the valve chest was no exception. The good news is that I have built enough of Elmer’s engines that I could fabricate a replacement from some brass I had in my come in handy pile. First is squared up the ends in the mill and then turned the valve stem round in the lathe.

Next it was drilled and tapped. I only drilled it halfway to prevent wandering. I will do the final drilling after I hollow out the valve chest.

Then the part was flipped and recentered in he four jaw. The far end was turned to size and rounded over with my ball turner.

Next it was over to the mill where the valve chest was taken to size.

The cavity was marked out based on the casting dimensions and chain drilled.

Then the inside was cleaned up with an end mill.

The last operation was to drill the end using the existing hole as a drill guide.

After some quality filing time the valve chest was complete. Since the valve on this engine comes with the kit, I cut, drilled, and tapped the valve nut.

Then I did some clean up on the valve itself to get it to fit.

The last part in this update was the valve chest cover. Like the other iron castings it was chilled as well. You can see the shiny spots where I tried to face it.

Once again it was time to dip into my brass stocks and fabricate a replacement. The part was squared up, drilled and tapped.

Here is a current family shot.

Till next time.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your Own Design / Re: Bugatti Typ 50 1/4 Scale model
« Last post by Roger B on Today at 05:18:49 PM »
I have tended to design around 8-1, but this does not include the volume in the sparking plug or it's thread.
Your Own Design / Re: Bugatti Typ 50 1/4 Scale model
« Last post by michelko on Today at 05:16:03 PM »
All parts ready machined, still have to cut the Center electrode to length and glue them together.

From Plans / Re: Len Mason's "Mastiff" - chewed from the solid
« Last post by gbritnell on Today at 04:38:51 PM »
HI David,
I don't think the throttle range is being limited by the single carb and longish intake runners as much as it is with the vapor fuel supply. Granted as you open the throttle it will tend to pull more fuel vapor but balancing the air supply with the engine's needs is kind of an iffy thing. The vapor fuel supply setup works well for single cylinder engines or engines that run a a pretty constant rpm but I don't think they are very efficient for multi cylinder engines
My suggestion would be to make a proper fuel tank mounted with the top of the tank just below the needle valve height and play with the carb adjustments that way.
From Plans / Re: Len Mason's "Mastiff" - chewed from the solid
« Last post by michelko on Today at 04:13:22 PM »
Very nice build  :cheers:
Can you say something About the compression Ratio? If i remember Right you had some Trouble get it running. Didi you do changes to the CR.

The Background is i can´t get my Bugatti engine running reliable. i believe my cr (6:1) is a Little high for the homemade plugs so i am planning to reduce the cr.

Regards Michael
Your Own Design / Re: Bugatti Typ 50 1/4 Scale model
« Last post by michelko on Today at 03:01:33 PM »
So i did some calculations and the actual CR should be 5,95:1.
What do you guys think, is this to high? Will the engine run with CR 5:1?. This is Maybe better for the Sparkplugs.

What CR do you guys run with your working engines.

Chatterbox / Re: Ancient Lorries with Monster Engines!
« Last post by Steam Haulage on Today at 02:36:41 PM »
Hi Old Bill,

Here is the pic of the two wagons, plus their operators, my Dad and his Dad. The location is at the foot of Grenfell Hill. Just past the pub the road swings to the right and uphill. I don't remember the gradient of that hill but i recall cycling up it in the school dinner break was hard work. Perhaps the engines were more powerful or more geared down than I thought.

They converted them to charabancs for seaside trips by putting in bench seats. I presume the floors were swept as well.

My Dad always looked back to those happy times. He told me they were Morris Commercials. I have been unable to check this.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10