Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
What is it?
« on: October 26, 2020, 01:53:29 AM »
Hi every one,
I think I could use a bit of help here. A gentleman in my local club passed away. Some of his casting sets were  sold by his son to members of the club. There was one left after all the others were gone, so I bid on it and won. Originally I just thought it was some castings obviously a steam engine but there'd been a mistake all this other stuff goes with it. So here's the whole kit.

Among the prints was this one.

I have to admit I got more than I bargained for. And to top it off other than knowing that it's a Pennsylvania Railroad 0-4-0. It was used as a switching engine. They made A1-5's although the only one labeled #4 didn't look anything like the blueprint. :facepalm2:
I just looked up Friends Models and the first one under locomotives 0-4-0 was Dinky, that's it. The prints are dated between 1949-50. What have I got myself into? Obviously lots of silver soldering, that's assuming I decide to take this on. Sorry in writing this post I answered half my questions. Any information, corrections in the print or advise is appreciated.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline kvom

Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
The Kozo A3 book would likely be helpful.

Daggers

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:57:27 PM »
Friends models still exist
Potted history on there site.
They may be of help?
http://www.friendsmodels.com

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
Yeah, the  :facepalm2: above is where I googled friends models. I will look for the Kozo A3 book and go back over whoever it is that is building it on MEM.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 05:20:43 PM »
Hi Art,
Yeah, looks like you got the whole set of castings and parts for Dinky!

They sell a set of drawings for it but it looks like you've got those too.

I'm one of the people doing Kozo's A3 and I can tell you it's been a lot of fun for me.  I'm learning a lot, but it is a big commitment. If you choose to do this, you're in for a lot of work. But it's fun.  And while instructions in Kozo's A3 book won't match exactly what you'll need to do, the techniques and procedures will be applicable.

Not sure I can advise you on whether to take on a project of this magnitude or not.  If you're interested in it and excited about it, then go for it!  If not, it might be best to re-home the kit and focus on something you're more interested in.  There's nothing quite so demotivational as trying to force yourself into doing something for fun that you're actually not passionate about, right?

I don't know what you paid for the lot, but you have $720 in castings and blueprints, plus a lot of additional copper & such that they don't seem to sell through the Friends site.  At least not anymore.  I wonder if they used to sell it as a full kit?  Kinda looks like it.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide!
Kim

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 01:47:07 AM »
Kim,
Thanks, I think I will take it on at some point in time, but I have an Offenhauser to build first. I have to say I was the only one to bid on it and the money was donated to the club. I'm afraid that for the price you listed for the castings I stole it. :embarassed: If I finish it the son wanted to see a photo of it.
Art

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »
I bought the driver and cylinder castings for my A3 build from Friends, and they were excellent.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal