Author Topic: Myford cross slide dials  (Read 1540 times)

Offline PJPickard

Myford cross slide dials
« on: September 28, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
Aside from the Geo. Thomas modification with new dials is there a fix for the very tight friction fit on the Myford? I can not move the dial without changing the position of the screw. I tried flattening the wave washer and helped a little. If someone made the Thomas mod for sale I would just buy one but as it is there is a lot of work to make that and I'd rather be making parts. I guess a DRO would be the ultimate answer but $$$

Offline Chipswitheverything

Re: Myford cross slide dials
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
I haven't had that problem on the dials of my 44 year old S 7, but if I recall, Geo H Thomas did suggest that a solution might be to carefully thin the "wave" washer by light grinding of the hump area to take some of the force of the spring out of the washer.  On my second topslide that I made to Jack Radford's design I used GHT's design for a more sophisticatedand larger dia.  lockable index dial, and it is nice to use, but I would agree about the work involved.  Dave

Offline Del_61

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »
Hi

I am in the process of doing the GHT crosslide mod to convert the friction set dials with lockable ones.

The only issue is that you have to modify the crosslide bracket, and if you stuff that up its seems it is difficult to find a replacement. In addition modifications are also needed to the feedscrew.

I got the needle bearings, just need to bite the bullet and machine the bracket and modify the feedscrew ....

As for the top slide with gears I might do that later but not use gears but a toothed belt and small pulleys, saves making a LH acme feedscrew!

Regards

Derek

Daggers

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 10:37:48 AM »
Just by pure coincidence i have just read a article dated 7th April 1978 in Model Engineer where George Thomas talks about  S7 cross slide dials in an article called matters arising.
As mentioned above he thinned the hump of the spring using a fine grinding wheel, but describes this as a “roadside repair”, even though he states that it certainly improved the action. He goes on to say that it would be better to make new springs using either 0.012” spring material, giving a quarter of the original spring rate, or use P.Bronze or even brass shimstock about 0.015” to 0.018” thick. Which he says should give satisfactory results.
Hope this is of interest.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 12:33:58 PM »
Thanks guys...I might try the thinning for now. I also have tons of shim stock so I can give that a go too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal