Author Topic: Hello from South Africa  (Read 866 times)

Offline JCvdW

• Somerset West, South Africa
Hello from South Africa
« on: September 23, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »
Hi Everyone

I have been playing with wood all my life (My father was a woodwork teacher). A few years ago I built my first 'machine' - a four axes cnc router. One of the best toys I have ever owned (until recently). Over the years I made a few wooden chess sets with the router.

Just before Covid, I started venturing into metal work. I bought an old Myford Super 7 lathe and a while later a 2nd hand clone of the RF45 mill. I subsequently fitted DRO's to both machines. My first lathe project was a brass high pressure oil can for the machines.

The second project was a power hacksaw to cut metal. Unfortunately I do not know how to post pictures yet.

So now I am ready for my first steam engine, and am staring at the J.A.M. de Waal plans for the simplified corliss steam engine ...

With quite a few build threads for this engine on the forum as well as many friendly helpful people, I am just about confident enough to give it a go.

Thanks for having me.
JC
There is no planet B ...

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Hello from South Africa
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
Hi JC, welcome to the forum.  I look forward to seeing your progress on that engine.

I hope that you are managing to cope and stay well with these very different times.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Hello from South Africa
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »
Hi JC,
Welcome to MEM!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal