Author Topic: To big to get a grip?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Rik Shaw

To big to get a grip?
« on: November 16, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »
I have been making excuses for weeks now about starting a new model. Today I finally decided (I think ? maybe) that I am going to do my own version of Jon Bogstandards ?Paddleduck?.

So first thing today I hooked out an old one pound Salter scales weight for the flywheel only to find that the maximum diameter my external lathe jaws would hold is about 72mm. out comes the bastard file and I rasped three flats equally-ish spaced on the diameter and JUST got the chuck to catch a hold.

On my little mini lathe the max tool advance per pass is .2mm (unless I desire disaster) so I am here for the long haul on THIS flywheel.

Some observant PADDLEDUCK manufacturers may have scratched their heads and muttered ?bit big for the flywheel innit?? and yes, they would be right: But if you are intent on building a PADDLEDUCK at twice the designed size (I am!) then this old Salter weight is just about perfect for the flywheel.

Sourcing the 4mm thick material for the baseplate was a bit of a problem when us old OAP?s have to watch the pennies but fortunately, I found our defunct gas BBQ has a cast iron griddle plate just the right thickness ? you know, sometimes, it?s better than sex!!!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: To big to get a grip?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »
Piston,

Mini lathes are great but they do require patience, especially in cimcumstances as you describe. Will look forward to your progress and hope you will post some pictures as you go along.

Bill

Bogstandard

Re: To big to get a grip?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »
PS,

The paddleducks engine was designed so that you can use whatever you have available around the place, so don't worry if you can't get exact sizes and thicknesses, if you think it will be strong enough, use it. So if you don't have anything large enough to make the two cylinders in one piece, look to see if you have materials to make it in two smaller bits. Nothing is ever written in stone.

Whenever I build from just plans, I don't go ordering anything special, I just grab what is available and make do, 99 times out of 100, you will find that engine will run just as well. In fact, everyone should look at making engines from plans slightly differently, then you end up with a unique power plant.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal