Author Topic: Fusion 360  (Read 1896 times)

Offline RayW

Fusion 360
« on: September 12, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
I have been running the free version of Fusion 360 perfectly happily on my old Windows 7 64 bit PC. I have now upgraded to a new Windows 10 64 bit machine and downloaded Fusion, but it will not open. If I click on the desktop shortcut, a small blue wheel revolves for a couple of seconds then disappears. I have tried running in Windows 7 compatibility mode but same result. I have also done a clean re-install of Fusion but no joy with that either.
Just wondering if anybody is running Fusion on Windows 10 and, if so, how did they get it running?

Also, does anybody have a programme for milling cams? I used to have an excellent programme at this link http://www.modelenginenews.org/design/CamTable.html but this requires Java script and is not compatible with Firefox.
Ray

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Fusion 360
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 11:52:24 AM »
I believe I have 10 on my lap top and I'm running fusion just fine   ( 64 bit)

checking.......stand by

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:54:39 AM »
yup
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:54:56 PM »
I went from a win 7 to a new win 10 pc two months ago, had no trouble with fusion across the switch. I would suggest going to thier support forum and posting the problem with details, they have been responsive with me on issues.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »
Runs fine on my W10 machine, do you still have it installed on the old machine as it may be blocking you having the free one on two machines.

Drop Rod (Tangler) a PM and he will post a link where his latest version of cam-calc can be downloaded, it's on Dropbox.

Offline RayW

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »
Thanks for your responses. Jason, I have spent ages on their forum and tried all the suggested solutions without success. I am reluctant to remove from the old machine in case it won't work on that one either if I reinstall it. I have messaged Rod for the camcalc link.
Ray

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 02:04:27 PM »
I use Fusion 360, Hobbyist license, on 2 computers, one Win7, and one Win10. Just not at the same time.
If I open a project on one while having a project open on the other, I get a nag that forces me to close one or the other.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »
I don't run Fusion 360 so this may be completely off base. (Keep thinking of buying a Windows box just for this, but haven't done it.) Is it possible to obtain a second license for Fusion to install on the new machine? I don't know what checks they have to prevent this. You might sign your wife up for a license, a nice present indeed. If you can it would show if having it on two computers is the problem.

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline nj111

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 03:33:22 PM »
I've not tried Fusion 360 yet but I guess at some point I ought to move on from Alphacam of which my old version runs only on XP.  I've been meaning to ask on here if there are many limitations with the free version?  In particular can you still edit post processors to suit different CNC machine controls and so on?
I had in mind Fusion 360 was a cloud based system which wasn't actually installed directly onto a PC as I have always been used to and therefore required decent internet speed to use? Any advice would be appreciated!
Nick

Offline Fowellbox

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 03:48:33 PM »
From my own limited knowledge of Fusion 360, the free version for hobbyists is exactly the same as the paid for one.
The program is downloaded onto your computer and uses the cloud to store your work but you can also save work on your own PC.
Not having a background in cadcam, I found it very difficult to get to grips with but then I discovered beginners videos by Lars Christiansen of Fusion 360 and everything started to make sense.
Brian

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »
You don't get the same as the full blown paid for version, in the case of CNC you will likely have to pay for more advances features like their "steep & shallow" 3D finishing paths, there are several other bits that are listed but you can purchase them for 1day or one month as needed. You can edit post processors if you want to tweak the G-code.

FE analysis is another that you will only get the basics for.

You can work off line but it does require connecting every few weeks to keep a check on you. also you can store your files other than in the cloud.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 04:14:25 PM by Jasonb »

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 04:57:27 PM »
Guys,

I'm  afraid I have found a problem with my  Excel  version of CamCalc and have removed the link.  The results looked ok but do not agree with data obtained by drawing the cam out in cad.  I'm looking into it but am having difficulty extracting the wool from my brain.

Rod

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 07:26:10 PM »
Hi Ray, I have  heard several times, that If there are problems to Install Fusion, people are adviced to be sure to do it under an Administrator roll.
So are you sure you are operating your Windows 10 as an Administrator and may be without any Virus protection during the Installation ?
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 01:00:58 PM »
The world is back on its axis - CamCalc is OK.  I've cross checked the results with the old Java version and they are the same.  The link to my Excel version is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/74calqdlsss7qfz/cam%20with%20draw.xls?dl=0

There is no need to download the Drop box app.  Go to the "Or continue to the website" option and wait for the download symbol to appear in the top right hand corner.

I have added a sketch that may help explain things don't look as they should when you start to machine the cam - you have to go all the way round before the final shape is achieved.

I'm happy to lodge a copy of the spreadsheet on this site if someone will show me how to do it.

Hope this helps,

Rod

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »
Rod, if it's just an Excel spreadsheet as the file extension suggests you add it just like an attached photo by clicking "attachments and other options" just below the box you type a message in.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 01:27:59 PM »
File too large apparently

Offline RayW

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 12:08:39 PM »
Finally got Fusion 360 running on my new Windows 10 PC. It took several calls to Autodesk and one of their technical guys taking remote control of my computer to sort out the problem, which turned out to be some sort of conflict between Fusion and my graphics card.
Even once I got Fusion to open, I had to contact Autodesk several more time to sort out little glitches, but all is new well. I have to say that their technical guy could not have been more helpful and patient is resolving all of my issues.
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal