Author Topic: Toe Jack  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Toe Jack
« on: September 04, 2020, 09:44:55 PM »
A while ago we were talking of moving machines. I mentioned a toe jack and thought it would be a good idea. I'll likely be moving some smaller machines from time to time, so it seemed a really good idea to have one. So I built one.

A bottle jack sits on the blue framework and pushes up on the red T. The bottom of the T, the toe, fits under the base of a machine and thus lifts it. The white parts just keep the red toe in line while the blue part adds structure. The real thing looks like this.

Haven't used it for a real move yet, but it was able to pickup the heavy end of the 14" lathe. I think it will come in handy.

Stay safe.

Hugh

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Re: Toe Jack
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 11:13:51 PM »
I like it much safer that a long pry bar. I will keep this in mind if I have to move the machines again.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 01:46:08 AM »
Very good idea Hugh love it....

:cheers:
Don

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 08:07:01 PM »
Very clean job on the build. 

They are for sure one of best tools you can make (get)...based on agony saved vs cost to make.  I think my was $30 of 3/8" plate off cuts and a Crappy Tire (retailer of about everything for the foreigners) jack.   My shop is cramped so there is usually little  room for a pry bar and the jack handle the 5100 lb DSG just fine.   Photo's of mine (not as pretty)  https://www.metallum.shop/projects-2/#toejack (I'm not madman Mike, Mike yes, but the madman is another i borrowed the design from)

Offline samc88

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 08:48:52 PM »
Nice idea, I think I'll make one as it'll be handy for moving my bigger lathe when I need to access the motor

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal