Author Topic: Second Engine Suggestions  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
Second Engine Suggestions
« on: September 03, 2020, 01:46:18 AM »
I finally and very recently completed my 1st engine, an oscillating engine (see this thread if interested: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9638.0.html).

In any event, I am ready to move on to the next engine. I would like something a little more complex; however, not too complex. I just want to build from plans, preferably free ones.
I don't want to buy a kit.

Suggestions for a 2nd engine for a beginner are welcome.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Second Engine Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 07:12:36 AM »
The first link to the copies of Muncasters book is not ideal for a beginner as they are little more than general arrangements. If you like something there then try the redrawn Muncaster engines in teh yellow box half way down page or my small No1

https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/News_and_editorial.html

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9598.0.html

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 04:19:11 PM »
Thank's, Thor. Is the last link, your website? I am certainly interested in that very fine looking engine, and if your's, I know where to go for help when I need it  ;D.

Thank's, Jason. Your link to the "Reverser" build is very interesting; however, it may be a little too complex for me at this stage. Certainly one I will save for the future. Great work.

Offline Thor

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »
Thank's, Thor. Is the last link, your website? I am certainly interested in that very fine looking engine, and if your's, I know where to go for help when I need it  ;D.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, the last link is from my website. I have also made one for my friend and am currently working on a mill type engine for my friend.

Thor

Offline tghs

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »
for a small investment (depending where you find a copy, I paid 26.00 for mine shipped, "the shop wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt" is a great book with methods and 6 complete engines plans,, I was looking at his built from stock compound twin before buying a Stuart block to use,, but I did use lots of info from the plans including a great step by step to set the valves..
what the @#&% over

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 10:00:42 PM »
Thank's, tghs. I will look to find that book for a reasonable price.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 07:26:17 AM »
Also have a look at Julius' site for some simple designs

http://www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.com/telechargements4/

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 02:46:35 PM »
A lot of us have built Elmer's #43 Horizontal Mill Engine as a second or third engine: http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/43_horizontal.pdf

Here's a link to my build thread, which has links to other's build threads: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6181.0.html

This was a really fun build.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 04:25:03 PM »
Thank's, Jason for the excellent link. I was not aware of that site.

Thank's, Jim. Very good build thread and final outcome.

On my 1st engine, since it was a simple wobbler type, no valve assembly was required. Although I am intimidated by making an engine with a valve assembly, for this very reason (intimidated), I need to make one. Jim, the "eccentric strap" and "reverse lever" also appear very difficult to make.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 03:18:41 AM »
Thank's, Jason for the excellent link. I was not aware of that site.

Thank's, Jim. Very good build thread and final outcome.

On my 1st engine, since it was a simple wobbler type, no valve assembly was required. Although I am intimidated by making an engine with a valve assembly, for this very reason (intimidated), I need to make one. Jim, the "eccentric strap" and "reverse lever" also appear very difficult to make.

They weren't particularly difficult to make. Just a step by step process..........made easier by being able to move the chuck back and forth from the lathe to mill. A rotary table was a definite necessity for how I made them.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 05:05:16 AM »
Jim, I can move the chuck from lathe to mill with a Taig adapter that mounts to the mill table. However, I do not have a rotary table,yet  ;D.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 06:23:53 PM »
Jim, I can move the chuck from lathe to mill with a Taig adapter that mounts to the mill table. However, I do not have a rotary table,yet  ;D.

A rotary table will definitely help you take your machining to the next level, complexity wise.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 09:58:23 PM »
Jim, I just happened to be looking at the Sherline one for my Taig, today  :).

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 05:25:07 AM »
Yes, the Sherline 4" Rotary Table is very nice.  I have one of those that I use on my Taig.  It's a good quality piece of equipment for sure!  You wouldn't be sorry if you got one.
Kim

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 05:37:05 AM »
Thank's, Kim. Waiting for a sale to come up on the Sherline rotary table.

By the way, do the Taig lathe chucks screw on the rotary table with no modification required? Are there any modifications required to make it work on the Taig mill?

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 06:00:28 AM »
Yes, they work fine with the Taig chucks.  The Sherline and Taig chucks use the same mounting threads.  You have to get the little adapter thing that gives you the 3/4-16 threads for the chuck, but you can get that when you purchase the RT.

Kim

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 03:51:25 PM »
Thank's, Kim.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 10:35:50 PM »
Thank's to all that contributed to this thread. I have narrowed it down to 2. One is Jim's suggestion of the #43 from Elmers engines or # 33 from Elmers engines. They appear somewhat similar to me. I will study the plans, and make a final decision soon, so that I can get started.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 02:15:50 AM »
Decision finally made  :). I will attempt the Elmer's #43. Comparing it to the 33, the materials will be more readily available to me. More importantly, I will use Jim's and the other build threads on this forum to assist me.

Thank's again, all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal