Author Topic: USB Microscopes  (Read 13169 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: USB Microscopes
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »
That's what I use 99% of the time now Jo, and not with just small parts either :)  After a while they will conform more to your head.

Bill

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
Dont worry Jo its only the AGE factor wait till you get a flu jab then you may find your arms are not long enough  :stir:

Jo on a more PC correct tone it may be that your eyes are not balancing the focus to your master eye if your non dominant eye has the better focus it will give you a bad head and eye fatigue ( at least that what my optician told me years ago when I had a similar problem with a PC screen ( CRT )

with my sparks hat on it may be that your mag lamp unit is strobing with the chuck speed causing a flicker that you may not evan notice but its there that too can cause eye strain, one of the reasons I will only use incandescent lamps for task lighting

to illustrate the point when I worked for the local iron works ( base exchange units and pipe spinning ) we always paired a mercury vapour lamp with a 1000w incandescent lamp to avoid the strobe effect

Hope you sort it out without to much harm to your purse ( nearly said wallet  :old: then ) not very PC

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »

with my sparks hat on it may be that your mag lamp unit is strobing with the chuck speed causing a flicker that you may not evan notice but its there that too can cause eye strain, one of the reasons I will only use incandescent lamps for task lighting

Hope you sort it out without to much harm to your purse ( nearly said wallet  :old: then ) not very PC

Stuart
Stuart you maybe right all of these magnifying lamps use fluorescents

I have dug out my cheap and nasty head band binocular viewer: it is actually better than I expected but has a magnification of about 5 and a focal length of about 3" so it is no good for lathe work :-\.

My purse has been emptied and the moths have escaped  :o I have ordered a DA-4 Optivisor from the States, for the vast sum of ?32, hopefully customs will not look on it as a revenue opportunity :disappointed:. I will tell you if it is any good in a few weeks ;).

Jo
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:10:25 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
Jo

hope you don't get the customs and excise lot on your back import duty plus ?8 handling fee will hurt

try this firm ? 29 plus Vodka And Tonic
http://www.moleroda.com/acatalog/Complete_Optivisors.html

btw I have had some specs made up with reading bit as the main part and the bifocal bit to focus at 8 inches , plastic lens with side cheeks AKA safety glasses
as I have to wear glasses all the time this is the only way I can get by in the WS as these stupid vary focal things are useless except for general use

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »
Jo

hope you don't get the customs and excise lot on your back import duty plus ?8 handling fee will hurt

Stuart

It is too late it is ordered.

But thanks I just checked the final price by the time they add VAT and postage it is ?40.55, so the ?8 Royal Mail rip off plus the tuppence halfpenny they might charge me import duty it is likely to be about the same price. If I am luck they will be nice to me, see my title and think it is for medical reasons ;).

Jo
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:49:12 PM by Jo »

Offline dvbydt

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 09:50:14 PM »
For the ultimate, look up Mantis Magnifier! Very expensive, but the idea of the long stand-off distance and choice of magnification is also used in surgeons stereo magnifiers, like two adjustable, small telephoto lenses, also expensive.

Ian

Offline gmac

• British Columbia Canada
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »
Just what I need. An even better look at my lousy finishes.  :ROFL:
It would be just the thing for me if you all would send me your parts and I could enjoy seeing good stuff.
Please send postage paid. No returns.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 02:13:47 AM »
Like the friend of Bez I use a usb scope for faceting and it works well. I think for lathe work it may be a bit ordinary though I have been getting thoughts of using it for marking out as I seem to have the odd problem there. Never thought of using a web cam while working on the lathe or mill but maybe worth a look
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:33 AM »
It would be just the thing for me if you all would send me your parts and I could enjoy seeing good stuff.

Wear an eye patch Carl - they'll only look 'arf as bad!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »

Wear an eye patch Carl - they'll only look 'arf as bad!

Wear two it'll look twice as good!! :hellno:
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
OUCH! Tough room tonite.....  :lolb:

BC1
Jim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
Good idea. I'll wear two. Then you'll all look good too.  :Lol:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 07:18:02 PM »
On some USB cameras you can take off part of the housing and then turn the focus wheel around the lens much farther.  I did that and it will focus as close as six inches from an object if you really want to get that close.

I also bought a USB microscope, a cheap one from dealextreme.com, and it would have to be really close to the part being machined.  Probably the farthest it can be and still focus is about eight inches.  A better quality one might be totally different of course.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »
Update: the Optivisor has arrived and successfully sneaked through customs without being seen as a Tax opportunity :pinkelephant:

I will report later on how good it is after I have used it for a few hours. ;)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal