Author Topic: USB Microscopes  (Read 13177 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
USB Microscopes
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
I fear I am getting  :old: after an hour or so using my Cowells I am finding problems with focusing my eyes. I have already installed a magnifier on the Cowels but keep thinking about the idea of mounting a USB microscope on the lathe to enable me to see better what I am doing and hopefully to avoid so much eye strain.

Has anyone else tried this? Does it work?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: USB Microscopes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
Just build bigger engines :Jester:

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »
That just means I have the opportunity to add more detail  ;D.

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »
Not sure if this would help...

I have a stand on rollers with one of those desk lighted magnifiers. I think it's a 4x or 5x.
It's been very handy. Easy to adjust and move out of the way.
I should have mounted a clear plate on the front to make it easier to clean.
I sometimes think of mounting it from the ceiling.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »
Jo, since you nemtion the USB connection, are you wanting to output the microscopes view to a larger screen for viewing or would that be more for just taking pictures or videos of the "tiny" work in progress?  I haven't tried it yet but suffer from the same malady often when working with small parts. Had considered the addition of a stereo microscope to the Sherline lathe but at $775 that is out of the question. A quick google search shows some of these USB versions ranging from $30-$100 but they would require a monitor to view the output and I assume a computer as well. At least that gets into the ballpark of feasibility since most of us probably have a stray older computer or laptop around somewhere.  I will be following along though to see what others have done in this regard. Getting old(er) ain't fun...but it still beats the alternative :)

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
I wonder if a web can may be more suitable as you don't really need the amount of magnification from a microscope.

I would have thought that by the time the camera image is up on the screen you would get 10x mag which should be more than enough.

The other thing that may give issues is strobing if the refresh rate of the camera/scope syncs with the revolving part making it seen still or rotating the wrong way.

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Zee: I already have a magnifier lamp. Still get the problems :-\.

Bill: I have a net book that kicks around all over the house, great little gadget, I was thinking of outputting the image to that. I can imagine if I put a screen up behind the lathe it would quickly get an oil line down it ;).

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
I wonder if a web can may be more suitable as you don't really need the amount of magnification from a microscope.

I had also considered that, but have no experience of them. My concerns was focal length.

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
I can imagine if I put a screen up behind the lathe it would quickly get an oil line down it ;).

True, or even more likely on the lens of the microscope!!

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
 :o I have just found someone who has used one of these for milling circuit boards.

They toldl me that webcams did not provide enough resolution. The microscope had sufficient update rate and operated happily from about 6".

Jo

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
Hi Jo

A friend of mine uses one to help with his gem cutting,

He seems to have no trouble cutting 40 plus facets on a 4 mm gem stone using the microscope to check his work occasionally.

That's sort of getting into George B territory  :ROFL:

Cheers

Bez

Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline ausdier

• Burpengary, Australia.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »
The one I use to look at things.
http://www.kaiserbaas.com/cameras/digital-microscope#sthash.kESkRkN1.dpbs
example of my verniers at 0.0005"gap with the mic at the same distance but two focal lengths.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »
That's sort of getting into George B territory  :ROFL:

You have to have something to aspire to.  But I fear I am unlikely to achieve it in this life time :-\.

Jo

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »
This is what I bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190679872997&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

50-500x mag.

The stand supplied is plastic/metal and pretty useless and my plan is to adapt it to fit the Starret scribing block when suitable tuits arrive.

I wouldn't have thought it has much to offer for live machining situations, but it comes with Cooltech software which, after a bit of a learning curve, must be very useful for measuring tiny objects, including labelling, dimensions, angles, etc. This is only for saved stills and calibration is as good as the user can make it.

I have another, bought from Lidl for ?30. It's a Bresser 20x80x350x mag. This is a better instrument altogether and has a focussable stage with top and back lighting. The head is detachable from the stand and it should be possible to arrange it for machine mounting, though back lighting is of course gone.
Just seen this identical one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRESSER-20x80x350-USB-MICROSCOPE-SOFTWARE-BNIB-/251143854106?pt=UK_Collectables_Scientific_MJ&hash=item3a7957181a

I also note there are lots of the first type on Ebay for around ?15-16

So far I've failed to get either of my 'scopes to work or be recognised by Ubuntu linux and my experience is small as I avoid Windoze like dog mess. But then I have found I've got a dodgy USB line on here somewhere. Both work well in Windoze.

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »
Further feedback:

I have just had a clockmaker respond to this question via the Cowells yahoo group. His advice is to try to work with a Optivisor. I have one of these, it wins all the prizes for being one of the most uncomfortable things going to wear.

As I have one I will give it a go before I put my hand in my pocket.

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal