Author Topic: Hello from Geelong, Victoria, Australia  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Hrcoleman

Hello from Geelong, Victoria, Australia
« on: August 27, 2020, 04:43:48 AM »
G'day all,

Hugh here from Australia (Geelong, Just west of Melbourne).
Been tinkering with Stuart casting sets for about 8 years now.

Projects on the go-
Stuart 10H (Modifications; It has been running well as stock, but I wanted to convert the Cross Guide from the cylindrical type to a slide block type a'la Number 9)
Stuart Beam (Bought half done on Ebay about 6 years ago and been a slow process to correct the badly done work from the/a previous builder)
Stuart Twin Victoria (Only started this one about 6 weeks ago)

Also have castings and a half built boiler for a Minnie 1" Traction Engine, a couple of Stuart 10Vs and a few other odds an ends in my stash.

As you can tell from the above, I like to have a  few things on the go at once.

My workshop consists of a Sieg SX1P (long table travel), a 1970s Taiwanese lathe (lovely lathe), drill press, Linisher/sander etc, etc.

Been looking through a lot of threads here and am very inspired by the superlative workmanship on display.

Looking forward to getting more involved in the forum.

Cheers,

Hugh

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Hello from Geelong, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 05:16:05 AM »
Hi Hugh,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 06:54:00 AM »
Hi Hugh, great to have you on the forum. 

Six weeks ago? Interesting times here in this state, starting a good project is definitely the way to go.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 02:47:51 PM »
Hi , welcome to the forum. Lots to see and write and comment about on this forum ..with a huge variety of posts to ponder... what did we do before the WWW ? waiting to see some photos ...!

Willy

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »
Hugh:

Welcome to the forum. Lots of info and good people here.

I believe there are now 6 Hughs on the forum. Not sure which are active but that, to me, is a lot of us. If you're a Dave or Jim I suspect it would seem normal. But I'm very used to being the only Hugh in the vicinity. Very nice to see a lot of us though.

Welcome.
Hugh

Offline awake

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 08:27:34 PM »
Hugh:

I believe there are now 6 Hughs on the forum. Not sure which are active but that, to me, is a lot of us. If you're a Dave or Jim I suspect it would seem normal. But I'm very used to being the only Hugh in the vicinity. Very nice to see a lot of us though.

Welcome.

I'll add my welcome. It's good to have all of Hugh here!

:)
Andy

Offline Hrcoleman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 11:16:50 PM »
Hugh:

Welcome.

We are a rare breed that's for sure.  Most of the Hughs ever ever met (about 4 in 54 years) are of my vintage give or take a few years.  I could never work out what was going through my parents minds that made them choose Hugh over all the other options that were available in the mid sixties in Australia.  We were a pretty conservative country back then and Hugh was way out of the box.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 02:21:56 AM »
Hi Hugh and welcome to MEM!

Right now Geelong seems like it's a long way away from the east side of Melbourne but that may change...

The Minnie traction engine was the second model I built, hope you can make progress on yours.

Regards, David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Hrcoleman

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 04:52:53 AM »
Hi Hugh and welcome to MEM!

Right now Geelong seems like it's a long way away from the east side of Melbourne but that may change...

The Minnie traction engine was the second model I built, hope you can make progress on yours.

Regards, David

I certainly hope so too.  Been researching dividing heads.  Up until now, they've just been way too outside of my budget, but given what a set of gears for the Minnie cost to buy ready made, It's a no brainer. 
I have to finish a few open projects first.  The Stuart Beam has been hanging over my head like the proverbial Sword of Damacles and really needs to get finished.

Yes, Melbourne seems like a word away.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Hrcoleman

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 04:54:49 AM »
Hi Hugh, great to have you on the forum. 

Six weeks ago? Interesting times here in this state, starting a good project is definitely the way to go.

MJM460

It actually coincided with when I was able to a) get room in my wifes garage to fit my lathe and b) get my lathe moved over here from my previous residence in the South East suburbs.
But yes...  It is an interesting time.

Cheers,

Hugh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal