Author Topic: Google books downloads  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Google books downloads
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:15:31 AM »
Just wondering if you can download the google books/magazines at all or are they read online only. I have seen a couple 1940's issues of Popular Science with a steam engine that I would like to download but see no option to do that.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: Google books downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:03:02 AM »
At a minimum you need to be logged into Google. After that there are restrictions depending on whether your account and internet connection are in the US. There are ways around the second item but the first is more difficult as it requires a US phone number. Frustrating when you can see something but not touch it...

Gerrit, in Canada
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:51 AM »
Pete,

I just googled 'download google books' and came up with this page. I'm not in a position to try it out on an iPad, but see if you get any joy.

www.gbooksdownloader.com

Hugh.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:51:14 AM »
thanks fellas. I will give it a try Hugh and let you know. It seems a shame that this is set up that way Gerrit as the info in the magazines from the 1930-1950's
Would not be a danger to the security of the USA or  the world as we know it today
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »
Pete, I wanted something off the net at one stage, it would'nt print out, so I took my camera and photo'd the screen, it came out well enough for what I needed.   Ian S C

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »
Try looking up the same books/mags on archive.org. I have found no problem dowloading from there.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:02:41 AM »
thanks to all that replied but ths has the problem solved. The link he supplied is a neat small programme and it does the job without a hiccup. The mags are dowloaded as PDF but you have the option of PDF, JPEG or PNG for mac users :cartwheel:. Thanks Hugh for the link

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal