Author Topic: Peugeot L3 1913 concept  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Chris1324

Peugeot L3 1913 concept
« on: August 09, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »
Hello!

I'm exploring the idea of making a car with a working glow engine. My inspiration is the 1913 Peugeot L3 and cars of that era. https://revsinstitute.org/the-collection/1913-peugeot/

I'm not looking to make an exact scale replica and would appreciate some feedback on how to simplify the mechanics  and get something working. The current concept is

~1/3 scale early grand prix car
4 cylinder glow engine, 4 stroke, 26mm bore 52mm stroke, liquid cooled, 8 valve head
1 speed gearbox with either servo or centrifugal clutch
Rear drum brakes
8" tyres e.g. wheelchair

I have a small manual mill and several small manual lathes. No foundry. Ideas and suggestions regarding engine design matetials and construction would be helpful. I like the idea of hard soldering brass sheet/rod as well as turning and milling. E.g. milled aluminium crankcase, 2 or 3 ball bearing steel crank, brass cylinders, brass pistons, brazed head.

Thanks!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Peugeot L3 1913 concept
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 01:06:40 PM »
I suggest you start by looking at some other 4 cylinder model engines and see how they designed the bits. OHV 4 cylinder model engines designs include

Westbury's Sealion:

Wall's 602 30cc Engine:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeRV_TiLKzA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeRV_TiLKzA</a>

Mercedes 1909 engine: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,8649.0.html

Based on your suggestions for materials is this your first model engine? If so you may want to make something simpler first, it will teach you a lot  ;)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:09:16 PM »
That looks interesting. Like Jo I would suggest starting with a simpler single cylinder engine to develop your techniques for pistons, cylinders, rings and valves. At the size you are looking at I would suggest spark ignition rather than glow plugs.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Chris1324

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 06:22:09 PM »
Hi Jo,

Thanks for the info and links. Love the look of the Mercedes 1909 engine  :o

This is my first foray into model engine building so plenty to learn  :zap: :toilet_claw: :D

I shall take your advice and try a single first. I would still like to use glow fuel to simplify the ignition system. I believe the fuel itself isn't a million miles away from the early racing furls which had methanol and a dash of castor oil.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 06:24:41 PM »
Any specific reason that it has to be a glow engine? A lot of the people that make 4 stroke glow designs end up converting to spark ignition for better running so may just be easier to start that way.

As to methods of construction brass fabrications have the bonus of being able to include water passages that would be hard or impossible to add if cutting from a solid block and it can often be easier to solder a small bit on rather than have to machine a lot of material away which may be the case with a cut from solid aluminium approach. So start sketching out the layout of your engine and as you do so think of what will be the best method of construction for major parts like the crankcase and head.

If you do go the built up route then fabricate it with machining allowances so that you end up with something like a casting which can then be finish machined t remove any possible distortion of movement from the soldering process

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal