Author Topic: Getting Ready for the MEM 2020 Show  (Read 17713 times)

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Getting Ready for the MEM 2020 Show
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2020, 03:23:14 PM »
I was looking forward to the prospect of the MEM virtual model show.

I hope there will be more to it than an argument as to who as bought the most exclusive set of castings. Castings are other peoples work after all.  :stir:

To be exclusive, the model should be unique; one of a kind. One you built yourself from your own drawings, form your own casting or from solid. Everything else is just a copy.

Heads down. Where did I put my tin hat?

Mike
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 03:27:01 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2020, 04:16:26 PM »
To be exclusive, the model should be unique; one of a kind. One you built yourself from your own drawings, form your own casting or from solid. Everything else is just a copy.

I think you will win on that one Mike  :) You probably will win the most cylinders on one engine category as well  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »
Not so fast Jo....

Here's a couple from my stable....

Edit.

I should have given a little more detail. Pictured below is the Moffat, a twin piston common bore 4 stroke, liquid cooled Petrol engine designed and built by Martin Lorenzo. Castings from the Alyn Foundry.

The second picture is of my design, the Penultimate gas engine all castings were produced in our backyard foundry apart from the flywheel that came from an early Simplex air compressor.

Obviously once we got into the scale engine scene we were, in fact reproducing somebody else's design.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 05:33:45 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2020, 05:01:28 PM »
Castings are other peoples work after all.  :stir:

Rather depends on who made the patterns :LittleDevil:

I could post a few from my stable too.

Either way Mike, Graham or myself won't be winning any prizes on the garden produce table :lolb:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »
Either way Mike, Graham or myself won't be winning any prizes on the garden produce table :lolb:

Good point, I was hoping that Mike's good lady would be exhibiting some of her cross stitch as well as other hobby items :)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2020, 10:06:11 PM »
The show is due to open to the public in two hours... I can see a bit of a server jam if I am not careful with everyone wanting to load their stuff at one second after midnight  :facepalm:

Ok early birds I am going to unlock the thread and let you set up your show posts. Please wait until show opening time before looking round and commenting on other people's displays and make sure you leave me a Bacon Buttie for when I arrive  ::)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Getting back to normal after the MEM 2020 Show
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2020, 11:25:10 AM »
The show is over and its time to get back to normal...

Thankfully there does not seem to be any damage caused to the models during transportation this year :ThumbsUp: I think the worst problem so far is I keep finding snickers wrappers all over the place  :ShakeHead:  and why is it everything fitted nicely where it was before a show but afterwards it never goes back as easy  :noidea:

Jo
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:46:37 PM by Jo »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
Hi Jo, Yup brilliant show and looking forwards to next years ?!!  and about every thing going back easily ?  something to do with the coeffient of linear expansion ? or did you pick up a few more ?? How many casting sets do you actually have ?? we could all guess and the winner could win a snicker bar ?!!!

willy

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2020, 04:45:52 PM »
How many casting sets do you actually have ?? we could all guess and the winner could win a snicker bar ?!!!

That is easy: Surus has told me I don't have any, they are all his  :-\ and he has eaten all the Ice cream Snickers bars that he could find in the house when we got home  ::)

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2020, 04:51:05 PM »
So Surus can send out Snickers wrappers as prizes...     Ummmmm, maybe not....   :Jester:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2020, 09:00:25 PM »
How many casting sets do you actually have ?? we could all guess and the winner could win a snicker bar ?!!!

That is easy: Surus has told me I don't have any, they are all his  :-\ and he has eaten all the Ice cream Snickers bars that he could find in the house when we got home  ::)

Jo

You're doing something wrong Jo, the women in my life have NEVER had any problem controlling me!!   :ROFL:

BTW- a great :NotWorthy: show :NotWorthy:.  Thanks for your efforts and efforts of others to coordinate this.  It was loads of fun, I've seen some models I've never seen before.  Not meaning to volunteer anyone, but this really ought to be a yearly occurrence.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2020, 07:13:03 AM »
BTW- a great :NotWorthy: show :NotWorthy:.  Thanks for your efforts and efforts of others to coordinate this.  It was loads of fun, I've seen some models I've never seen before.  Not meaning to volunteer anyone, but this really ought to be a yearly occurrence.

Anyone can start another show thread on MEM, not just the Moderators or Admins  ;)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal