Author Topic: Hand Cranked Air Compressor  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
Re: Hand Cranked Air Compressor
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 11:47:38 PM »
Once again thank you all for the ideas for the manual compressor I am very grateful. I like the idea of using PVC pipe for the receiver and the idea of utilising oscillating cylinders is worth some thought. I'll keep you posted.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Daggers

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 01:31:17 PM »
Have a look a this youtube, it might give you some inspiration.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP8dwWxjoFs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP8dwWxjoFs</a>

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 01:44:05 PM »
Amazing, somehow, he make the description of a hand pump last four minutes.
I guess the displacement of the pump needs to be larger than the displacement of the engine cylinder.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:19:28 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 01:58:57 PM »
If you have an oscillating engine then just adding a couple of non return valves to inlet and outlet will turn it into a pump if you turn the flywheel by hand, should be enough to drive a smaller engine.

can of airbrush propellant is easily portable provided you don't have large displacement engines

Or do as I can just blow down a bit of flexi hose.

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »
If you have an oscillating engine then just adding a couple of non return valves to inlet and outlet will turn it into a pump if you turn the flywheel by hand, should be enough to drive a smaller engine.
What do you need the non-return valves for?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
Actually you don't as the movement of the cylinder should shut off the port unlike a reciprocating piston.

Seems to work well enough

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OT9e8WGp8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OT9e8WGp8</a>

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 07:25:06 PM »
I use now a mini air compressor for nail art, found on ebay or banggood, that delivers 2 bar of air with a flow sufficient for small steam engines, the noise is quite acceptable for a demo in a show, or in the dinning room...

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 09:33:48 AM »
After a bit (a lot actually) of procrastination I have made a start on my Hand Crank Air Compressor. The main reason for it is to be able to display my small engines running on air rather than just static. With a hand crank compressor I can get the kiddies to crank it so they will be powering the engines, so I have designed it to be very robust and to take a bit of rough handling. it will not be a pretty unit, rather an industrial machine. The crank will run in 1/2" ID ball bearing races, and the main frame is 10mm x 75mm mild steel held together with 5mm cap screws. The bearing housings are aluminum and I super glued them to the upright whilst I drilled and tapped the 4 fixing cap screws (also M5).

Online MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »
A good start Robert.

It will be an interesting project.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »
Some progress on the crankshaft, I have locktighted the webs to the shafts and I will then pin them with 3.2mm (1/8") pins. Also I have commenced the Port Block Pedestal, I am using a piece of Cast Nylon I had in my "maybe I will use it some day" box. It is an off cut from a bearing from a wire drawing machine, it is extremely tough and need no lubrication, it machines lovely. I amusing my home made rotary table for the radial slots, it is a bit crude but it does the job.

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 08:15:34 AM »
More work on the compressor. I intended to fix the side bearing flange to the cylinder with cap screws but having super glued them together to hold them whilst I drilled and tapped. But I was not happy that I hadn't got it in quite the correct position I had to separate them. I took a lot of work to get it to move. So I decided that just the super glue and then a fillet of J B Weld would do the job nicely.

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 05:56:33 AM »
Progress has been made on the compressor with only the piston and rod to make to have it close to finishing. It looks a bit like a model you would buy from IKEA  :Lol: :Lol:
I an hoping it will work for me so keeping fingers crossed.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
The parts looks nice so we will as requested cross them  :ThumbsUp:
and still following.

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 05:24:42 AM »
Well I have finished the compressor build but it is a TOTAL failure  :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:,
I am obviously missing something. It does pump a microscopic amount of air but nowhere enough to drive a model. The model will run on 4 psi from the compressor.
Any ideas?

Also I am trying to add as an attachment a video of it but that is not working either. (must be something to do with it being Friday 13th 2020).

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 07:08:57 AM »
Which side of the plastic block do you have against the cylinder? usually only be the side with the 4 holes in it not the linking grooves

Also are your end covers blocking the passage of air from the cylinder, in the photo of all the parts there is no notch from passage to cylinder unless you have grooved out the underside of the cover
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 07:18:19 AM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal