Author Topic: De-greasing bearings?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Lauri

De-greasing bearings?
« on: July 31, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »
Hello.
Would somebody have reliable info about a safe way to de-grease ball bearings?
I'm about to replace the bearings of my lathe, and for setting the axial- and radial play the bearings have to be quite dry.
The bearings are FAG B7208-E-T-P4S-UL angular contact/matched pair and FAG NN3009-D-K-TVP-SP-XL roller bearing. They are delivered with some sort of corrosion protection oil.
Is it safe to just rinse them with clean benzine, or should I use something less dry? I'm worried about corrosion.

Cheers, Lauri

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: De-greasing bearings?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 07:59:56 PM »
Well I would not want to try and set the preload with dry bearings as it is best to run the lathe for 1/2 hour or so to get every thing upto temperature then set the preload so you need the correct amount of grease in them. thats how I did my FAG ones.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »
I'll do it as per Schaublin instructions, that's what they tell to do. Final lubrication is not grease but oil.
Especially the front bearing (2-row cylindrical roller) is quite sensitive; the radial play is set by stretching the inner ring on the conical seat. Any grease would totally ruin the measuring. L
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:31:22 PM by Lauri »

Online sco

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
Lauri,

Might be worth joining the Schaublin group and asking on there: https://groups.io/g/schaublin

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:52:52 PM »
Yes indeed Simon, thanks for the link! L

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal