Author Topic: My 5" Stirling Single  (Read 5701 times)

simplyloco

My 5" Stirling Single
« on: July 31, 2020, 12:47:22 PM »
I bought this part built engine last year from Station Road Steam. It has given me much joy to complete it as it is a very simple thing, which suits me these days. I didn't do a build log as I already have one on the UK MECH site. The loco has passed shell and hydraulic tests.
David and I ran it yesterday under its own steam for the first time. I was only able to capture a few seconds of film before everything went pear shaped. I'll do a better video when we get it on the track, and I can start to look for a buyer... :o
The blower and regulator work perfectly, my own design drop grate drops as it should, and it goes like the clappers. There is a slight leak on the sight tube glass top joint, the injector doesn't pick up, and there is some water about the place...and that's about it! BTW the white paint lining pens arrived just now so I can line the cab, add transfers and it is finished!
I don't like this steaming business: it gets awfully dirty!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qpcXOJfegE&feature=youtu.be

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: My 5" Stirling Single
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
It looks fantastic and though I have seen the current video I will look forward to one with it on track  :cheers:

Per

simplyloco

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 07:52:58 PM »
OK, the Stirling Single is finished,  so it's time to move onto the Stuart Major Beam Engine. I'll put the build thread on here as nobody on the Uk MECH site is remotely interested!I thought that a few on here would like to see the engine and tender and the scale display track it stands on. The 2k paint is sticking OK to the titanium boiler cladding, and the little period headlamps I made just finish it off nicely! I am undecided as to if and when it is gonna get steamed again as it seems a shame to risk it on a track...
John

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 08:08:40 PM by simplyloco »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 08:34:30 PM »
That is stunning work!  The base really sets it off as well.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 10:47:23 PM »
Beautiful locomotive, outstanding paintwork! Well done!    :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 05:36:27 AM »
Wow!  That is really nice, John!  Just beautiful!
Kim

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 12:46:38 AM »
This is fantastic work! I hope one day that I may build something as grand as this.

... It has given me much joy to complete it as it is a very simple thing, which suits me these days.

Simple? I am curious now to see the "complex" things you have made :)
(This signature intentionally left blank)

simplyloco

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 10:29:16 AM »
This is fantastic work! I hope one day that I may build something as grand as this.

... It has given me much joy to complete it as it is a very simple thing, which suits me these days.

Simple? I am curious now to see the "complex" things you have made :)

Try this Britannia,  but some of the early pictures are missing for some reason. I might finish it next year!
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7336.0.html

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »
Thank you for that :) I also had a look through your Flickr feed, impressive work going on there.
(This signature intentionally left blank)

simplyloco

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
Thanks Brendon. Much of the work on the Stirling is logged on Imgur as I ran out of freebies on Flickr!

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 09:14:41 AM »
Sold on ebay UK yesterday for £7995. This covers the cost to change my car so I am well happy!
Must finish the Stuart Major as we need a good holiday!
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 08:33:41 PM »
Congratulations, that's an impressive locomotive. Too many beans for my blood, but a bargain for the buyer nonetheless!
Regards,
Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal