Author Topic: New here from Northumberland  (Read 1248 times)

Offline bernienufc

New here from Northumberland
« on: July 26, 2020, 11:43:16 AM »
Hi
Usual story, still youngish (60) and still working (but part time beckons:-) ), ill health has meant i have had the chance to spent more time building up my machines and carrying out further studies.
I feel fairly good with fusion 360 and have produced some stuff which has led me to use the lathe and mill to get me out of trouble with bits at work but nothing with high precision yet, that said i have fitted a DRO to the lathe ready.

I have a small cnc router setup and a nice 3dprinter, accuracy is excellent and i have access to a resin one which i want to downsize as its damn messy for whats needed.
I come from a mechanical military background, owned a model shop and then moved into IT and finally management.
I intend to do a 1/8 scale model and have drawn and printed quite a few bits and practised so far.
I have read plenty over the years and used this to practise, i have purchased plans and books to help along the way as the only way i can learn is doing/making something i actually want/need or use and now is the time to start and teh engine is my favourite starting point.

After a fair amount of research the only engine i can see fit for my purpose would be 6 cyl inline engine like George Britnell has produced and i am now about to immerse myself in his thread.

Being a new member i will ask when is it appropriate to approach/contact someone to see if plans can be purchased without seeming mercenary? i do not post a lot and the reason being if you persevere with searches in the likes of this forum the chances are the questions/issues have already been answered (sometimes many times) and therefore i do tend to follow this route, and it could seem to be my undoing now.

What now remains is build my materials and refine teh machines and to learn Casting, Injection moulding until it becomes second nature and we are rocking.
So a year or 2 at Fusion doing the drawings and then many years building hopefully, i feel i could settle in now :-D :-D, anyway Hi everyone :-)

Bernie

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:24:44 PM by bernienufc »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: New here from Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 01:25:26 AM »
Hi Bernie,
Nice to have you decloak and post!  Welcome to the forum (as a posting member anyway! :)).

Kim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 07:28:34 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
Hi and welcome Bernie. What a great project you are embarking on. Please keep us updated and things progress.

Bill

Offline bernienufc

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 07:12:09 PM »
thank you for the welcomes'

Offline awake

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 08:49:52 PM »
Welcome!
Andy

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 11:52:06 PM »
Bernie,
Glad to have you join, I'm sure you will find us a great resource. You might get a few replies to a question and then figure out which fits you the best. I do believe that George does sell prints for his engines, just send him a PM to ask for details.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline bernienufc

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »
Thanks guys, have been in touch with George and now the job begins

cheers  :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal