Author Topic: MEM Corliss finished  (Read 3033 times)

Online Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
Re: MEM Corliss finished
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 11:32:23 AM »
A well made engine indeed, well done.
 How did you make the flywheel?
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline kvom

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 01:20:07 PM »
Beautiful runner

Offline astroud

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 03:41:53 PM »
Hi All
Thank you very much for the kind comments, out of my other 2 engines, the Potty Mill engine and the Monitor it is the sweetest runner.
The flywheel was made from a billet. I doubted my ability to end up with a true running wheel by following the MEM design.
The billet was mounted on a faceplate with mounting screws positioned where the spoke cut outs would be. The rim was turned and a recess machined. The bore was drilled and then finshed to size with a boring tool. The wheel was then flipped on the faceplate and a short axle put in the bore and held in the lathe spidle with a collet, this provided location only as the wheel was again bolted to the faceplate. The second recess was machined.
The disc then went onto my BCA which you might know has a built in rotary table. A while back a contributor (and sorry I have forgotten the name) published a comprehensive step by step guide to producing a spoked flywheel which I have found excellent. Even so each time I twiddled a wheel I did a sanity check to make sure I had moved the right distance in the right direction, towards the end it became a bit nerve racking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal