Engines > From Kits/Castings

Rays Latest Engine - AKA Alyn Foundry RLE

(1/22) > >>

RayW:
Thanks to Graham, I became the lucky recipient today of this set of castings for the Alyn Foundry RLE hopper cooled engine.

I understand that, officially, the initials RLE stand for Roy's Little Engine, but as you will see from the title of this post, I have given them another meaning.

In addition to the plans, Graham also supplied a copy of a series of articles from Model Engineer magazine of 1991/2 by Stan Bray,giving step by step details of construction of one of these engines, which should be really helpful.

If anyone on the forum has built one, I would be interested to hear of any tips or advice regarding construction.

Edit Jo: Ray requested a change of title  ;)

Jo:
Hi Ray, I built my one on this thread: https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7664.msg161750.html#msg161750

Jo

Jasonb:
Ray, are these original castings as they look to be suitably aged?

Not made one myself though I did also get some castings from the same source this week but not a full set and no drawings let alone a build article ;)

RayW:
Thanks Jo. Your build thread will be a big help.

Yes Jason, they are original castings and I believe Graham said they are the last set. I know he told me that some of them are from the original Rhuddlan Foundry (hope I have the spelling right) and are really good quality, but I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

Alyn Foundry:
Hello to All.

Good to see the system worked Ray.   :ThumbsUp:

There's thanks to be given all around.

Jo provided me with a pdf of the Stan Bray article and Jason has been busy drawing up a flywheel pattern for the Brayton Readymotor.

Yes Ray, that's the correct spelling of Rhuddlan and it's the cylinder only that came from there. All the other castings are from Buckley foundry. I chose that one because the grade is 17 and a little more wear resistant than my special grade " M " that Buckley used to do for me.

" M " stands for " machinable " a specific grade of softer, more malleable cast Iron.

I too will be following your progress, cheers Graham.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version