Author Topic: New enclosure project  (Read 6283 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: New enclosure project
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2020, 05:52:12 PM »
If I raise the monitor up about 3 inches...I can mount it on a post which will let me swivel it around a bit....which might be valuable.

The jog wheel needs to be mobile...so it should be mounted in a little basket

dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
Alternative design

Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2020, 06:19:08 PM »
Additionally, i'm going to leave the removable side windows.  I can see the prop shaft of the boat going into the mill, and that's about 72 inches long....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
Hello Dave,

Raising the monitor does two things, it allows you to swivel it towards the operator and also allows you to move it back a little, if that's necessary for focus.

Regarding the keyboard, mouse and jog wheel; if you are right handed then it would be advantageous to find a position for them on the right hand side. If you are a lefty or ambidextrous, then the left side will be good.  Just thinking.

Removable side panels, for the reason you mention, are a good idea, but they do not need to be see through lexan, ply would be OK if lexan is difficult to find.

One more thing. The door of my Emco F1 slides to the right. I am right handed and my controls are on the right. The door sliding in front of the keyboard is a pain. That's why I chose a removable lexan panel with magnets for the Emco VMC.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:57:04 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2020, 06:45:10 PM »
Good points Mike....as far as the keyboard shelf    I think I'll mount it on the splash pan such that I can slide from one side of the door opening to the other.   I do most of my positioning with the job wheel though, and that would be the only time I'm not in front of the keyboard....so that may be overkill as the monitor wont be moving.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
I can mount the most used hand tools on the outside of the enclosure above the tool racks    I could also put the tool setter there if I make a small shelf.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2020, 07:02:49 PM »
Nope....tool set rack will need to go to the left side....if at all    Otherwise I have to do it inside the enclosure....no room

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
Back and to the left....near the shelves on the wall...though that might be problematic as well
Damned ijjit!

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2020, 07:40:12 PM »
Unless you have real good vision, (I don't) having the monitor that high would kill my neck from having to tip my head back to use the bifocals. :old:
I would want it to be straight on as far as sight goes. you cold put it on an articulated arm and be able to swing it out of the way. I have CAD files for a real nice flat panel mount I designed and made for my mill; it will rotate in 3 directions.

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2020, 08:00:03 PM »
Hey Dave....Well   I hear where you're coming from.   That humanoid is only 5'4"  so I'm 6" taller...so not quite so bad...but I hear ya.

If you would be so kind as to send me those files..I'd be happy to check them out!   Thankyou!

Step file if you can....
Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »
OK   This humanoid is almost as tall as me.    Doesn't look quite so bad now....considering I have 3 feet to the left to run the Aciera….it's not that bad a trade off.
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 02:00:43 AM »
Dave,
I just thought I'd throw this out there. I have an 1100 with the stock mount for the monitor, pretty basic in concept but it allows the monitor to be moved around to give access to the surrounding stuff. Here's a few photos for reference.

My vantage point for the first photo is my $10 garage sale bar stool. You could set it at whatever height you needed and can swing it out of the way. Just a thought.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2020, 02:38:19 AM »
Dave,
I just thought I'd throw this out there. I have an 1100 with the stock mount for the monitor, pretty basic in concept but it allows the monitor to be moved around to give access to the surrounding stuff. Here's a few photos for reference.

My vantage point for the first photo is my $10 garage sale bar stool. You could set it at whatever height you needed and can swing it out of the way. Just a thought.
Art

I get it.   and I'd leave the boom that's on it now right where it is.   It suited me just fine when I was using it at my last job...but I don't have room for that in this shop    Pardon the mess....to the right of the tormach….is the Aciera f1   That's about 2 1/2 feet..and I need to get a office chair in there, as that mill you really run sitting down.....holding her close to your bossum, and your face in the work....its just the way it's laid out...and it can't really move.    On the other side is the stairs leading to the shop from my house....no room for a monitor there either..    so I need to make the best of the monitor up front and personal.   

There's just no other way around it.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2020, 02:40:01 AM »
What it looks like now

Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2020, 02:58:27 AM »
So for the basic enclosure is pretty well decided....aside from the monitor mount...though I think I'll start with the latest, and adjust from there on that

I spent some time before the rain came today cutting out some pieces.   Just the front panels.   4 strips.   I'll need some 1x stock from the orange box store but I think the rest will go pretty fast.   The window tracks are made from Delrin, and I plan to machine them on the table saw....here's a cross section.

Easy job on the table saw....setting up the cuts will take the longest.    The top and bottom rails are identical but flipped for a 15 degree   They will have a few countersunk holes for screws into the enclosure sills....so the front sliding doors will be captured once assembled

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal