Author Topic: New enclosure project  (Read 6287 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: New enclosure project
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 12:45:28 AM »
Now    Inventory.....I think I have the ply....and maybe the lumber.....and the Delrin,....but I'll need some lexan....I've made a tool holder stick....now I just need to cut it in half and cut a bevel on the back on the saw.   Drill some holes and "Bob's me uncle"

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:49:20 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 12:48:10 AM »
Now    Inventory.....I think I have the ply....and maybe the lumber.....and the Delrin,....but I'll need some lexan....
Better not use the windshield from your shop elves dune buggy, that would be MAAAADDDD!   :Lol:

Wonder how many offcuts are around at stores after putting up all the clear barriers at the checkouts.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 12:52:18 AM »
Now    Inventory.....I think I have the ply....and maybe the lumber.....and the Delrin,....but I'll need some lexan....
Better not use the windshield from your shop elves dune buggy, that would be MAAAADDDD!   :Lol:

Wonder how many offcuts are around at stores after putting up all the clear barriers at the checkouts.I'l
an

I just need the lexan I think   I dug out my power stapler today..and its more than a match for 1/4 birch ply when I tried it.   That'll work just fine as a brad gun

The side windows will be hung on 2 screws with key hole slots...from the inside....easy to come out, and it gives a nice reveal..
Damned ijjit!

Offline john mills

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 12:57:30 AM »
when I started cnc  it was a beaver mill with a local made control  no cards spray mist coolant  the swag when every where.every time the company MD  came to look at the new machine every thing was covered in swaf.
latter with more modern machines completely enclosed enclosures essential  which powfull machines the shower of chips would be impossible to control and be very dangerous to be near .the last machine was a light smaller machine but to control the spray of coolant needed to get to the cutting edge with carbide end mills at high speed
the coolant just gets flug away and does not get to the edge .The coolant and chips goes every where .on that machine had a tool changer above the table .almost useless the swaf went alover the tool shanks in the tool changer so changing tools was likely to pick up bits in the spindle.eaven though it had air blast in the spindle to
blow it out.it was a poor designed chinese made.these latter machines need the top covered as well the swaf goes every where .the early machines that only partly enclosed things would just not control the mess.
its good to see you enclosing your machines even though you don't have the amount of chips the chips still go every where.         John

might be hard to get clear material (have used mainly poly carbonate material ,which the amount used at the moment for safety screens
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:00:45 AM by john mills »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 01:18:05 AM »
I don't have an ATC on this machine...though one is available.   I'll never get the metal removal rates you can get with high pressure coolant .. ( 1000 psig) that gets the chips out, and gets to the cutting edge.   Not on this little machine....I just want to control it better....and look decent in the process.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 02:58:58 PM »
Monitor height looks good.   the figure is 1.65 m or 5'4" tall.   I'm 5'11"....so right at eye level for me.

I need to figure out how to put a USB port in.....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 03:23:03 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Looks good Dave!

John

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 03:48:53 PM »
Hello Dave,

I did a similar enclosure for my Emco VMC a while back. The box was made of steel and the removable lexan front panel was held in position by magnets. There is a second lexan panel to increase the height if required. I have not found the need for lexan side panels or removable panels. You could make a saving here if lexan is difficult to source these days.

I found the monitor needed to be set a little further back to let the eyes focus easily. I also inclined it towards the machine to make it easier to see when edge finding and also while machining. MY keyboard is inclined at about 30* from horizontal. My mouse is sheltered from any chips or spray underneath the  PC/monitor/ keyboard shelf. 'Works for me', as they say.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:07:49 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 04:21:59 PM »
Hello Dave,

I did a similar enclosure for my Emco VMC a while back. The box was made of steel and the removable lexan front panel was held in position by magnets. There is a second lexan panel to increase the height if required. I have not found the need for lexan side panels or removable panels. You could make a saving here if lexan is difficult to source these days.

I found the monitor needed to be set a little further back to let the eyes focus easily. I also inclined it towards the machine to make it easier to see when edge finding and also while machining. MY keyboard is inclined at about 30* from horizontal. My mouse is sheltered from any chips or spray underneath the  PC/monitor/ keyboard shelf. 'Works for me', as they say.

Mike

Excellent points Mike.   The actual physical mounting of the key board is still..."fluid"   I can also use the gimble mount that the current monitor arrangement has to give me some swivel.    …..I think the mount as it stands will make a good starting point...if I need to make a mount like our esteemed college did from across the point, I'll do that....but I'd like to keep the footprint down...I can see myself getting up from the Aciera and "finding the corner of that monitor with my head a couple of times before I learn otherwise...…   I say lets build the bugger and see how she swims!...…

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 04:23:16 PM »
I don't have a mouse shelf....but I will certainly need one!    Nice catch Mike....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2020, 05:01:14 PM »
Dave,

Your monitor should be mounted so that where ever you sit/stand it is located at outstretched arm finger tip distance and the centre of the screen should be level with your eyes  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »
Well   I hit most of those Jo..    I don't think I can pivot the monitor too much....plus minus 3o degrees perhaps....but while standing its perfectly in my line of  site
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 05:10:31 PM »
Stairs into the shop 1" from right side drip tray

My Aciera f1 is just to the left, and I  have enough room without the boom in there to sit at the Aciera with an office chair......just …

Can't hang out  either side by a monitors width....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »
I've reattached the photo of my Emco enclosure. I attached the control station to the side rather than the front of the cabinet. I seemed to give more room for manoeuvre.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:16:57 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »
current monitor mount swivel.....could be repurposed....

And my embryonic tool racks have been made and engraved...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal