Author Topic: 1913 Galion road grader  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
Re: 1913 Galion road grader
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 05:44:23 AM »
Just unbelievable - Congratulations !

simplyloco

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »
I can see that you've made the grade! :praise2:
John

Offline tghs

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 12:46:14 PM »
just have to love all that brass!!!!
what the @#&% over

Offline kvom

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »
I'd love to see another video with you turning the various cranks to show what they do.  Or Crueby can lend you an elf to operate it.   :popcorn:

simplyloco

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2020, 03:38:17 PM »
Bring it over the pond: we have a National 'Elf Service!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 12:49:22 AM »
Gentlemen,
Here's the second video of the machine. Several people had asked if I would do a video showing the operation of the different functions of the machine. I did the best I could at filming it.
gbritnell
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDwxCcs-yOo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDwxCcs-yOo</a>
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 01:19:21 AM »
Splendid demonstration George, thank you for sharing it with us!

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 02:08:22 AM »
Amazing workmanship, thank you for sharing the construction and operation of this wonderful model.
"Effort equals Results"

Offline tghs

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 02:12:56 AM »
amazing work,, fighting the scale vs function also.. around 50 years back I watched a grader of this type reworking a dirt and gravel road.. the operator was very very busy.. a tractor was the pulling force,, hard to imagine someone working the grader and minding a team of draft horses at the same time..
what the @#&% over

Online MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »
Beautiful work George.  I have been watching over your shoulder from the start and it is very special to see it all in action.  It illustrates just what complexity is involved in making the good roads we tend to take for granted.

I used to build roads in the sand pit with a Tonka Bulldozer, but a fully functioning grader like you have built would have a major upgrade.  I wonder if Tonka will take up the challenge to add a few working parts to their model graders?

Thanks for taking us all along With you on this amazing build, and for the video showing us all the different functions in action.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline mikemill

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
George

Anyone who understands engineering will know this working model is a work of art, created by a master craftsman. Not only does the model function as the original but the finish is superb. The video demonstrating the various functions is the icing on the cake.
George completing the model you must feel a great deal of satisfaction, I think it will be a long time before you surpass this project, but if past is anything to go by you are already planning to leave us all in total awe.

Mike

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 04:10:07 PM »
 :praise2:
 Absolutely amazing! & such smooth operation!
 I couldn't imagine the effort required in operating the full size machine.
 "When men were men"...

WOW

John

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 07:49:37 PM »
Thank you for a fantastic demonstration video George  :praise2:

I for instance never imagined the right reason for why the wheels could tilt, until you mentioned the obvious lack of friction between the surface and the wheels  :embarassed:

It also shows how much progress has been made since (Chris big steam shovel, similar thing). I have only operated a few different modern ones - and though they have "Joysticks" with many buttons etc. - they are kind of simple - like if you change the angle of the "arm" -> the shovel will still stay at the same angle as before. I know a lot of this is down to smart linkages on the booms, shovels, etc. - but it's also smart linkages on the controls - both hydraulic and electronically.
Back in the day you really needed to know how to operate the equipment to use it. Don't get me wrong I'm aware of the difference between an amatur at the controls and the skilled operator - but the amatur can still do useful work with modern machines, as long as it doesn't have to be delicate or extremely accurate.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »
George,  THANK YOU for making the video. I do not have the vocabulary to add to the previous comments. You are truly a master craftsman.   :praise2: :praise2:         Regards       Terry

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 11:14:21 PM »
Thank you one and all for the very gracious comments. I'm truly honored by the replies. I'm glad to be able to share my work with my peers.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal