Author Topic: 3D printing, an aid to pattern making?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: 3D printing, an aid to pattern making?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 01:37:38 PM »
Thanks Jason.

That flywheel looks amazing....   :ThumbsUp:

I too was surprised at the lack of interest particularly with so many members that operate printers.

I was really asking if the finish from these devices was up to the high standards needed for sand casting.
My patternmaker mentor, Roger ( The pattern ) Hughes said that a pattern needed to be at 110% good to get the 100% casting.

Perhaps castings are out of fashion these days? Never mind, I like them....
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:34:30 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline awake

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 07:13:55 PM »
I haven't done any casting yet, but it is high on my post-retirement to-do list. It might even sneak into the pre-retirement list ... :)

In terms of 3d printing the patterns, it does seem like a natural and obvious way to go. As you note, you do have to develop some ability with 3d CAD, or commission someone to generate the designs.

There are two basic approaches to low-to-medium end 3d printing: filament (aka FFF or FDM) and resin (AKA MSLA or SLA). Entry level machines for each process start right around $200. There are distinct trade-offs between the two processes; here is only a partial list:
  • Resin provides very high resolution, probably suitable for directly using in casting; it is a somewhat more expensive and much messier process; over time, exposure to the resin can develop extreme allergic reactions (IOW, gloves and ventilation required); unless you pay an astronomical amount, the largest print size I've seen advertised it 192mm x 120mm, with a height of 200mm (the cheapest resin printers are limited to around 120mm x 68mm, with a height around 150mm).
  • Filament is low cost, and there are a wide variety of types of filament available, each of which has its own pros and cons; the prints can be quite detailed, but even at the highest resolution, there will be distinct layer lines that will need to be smoothed, either by filling / sanding or by chemical means, any of which can reduce some detail; the entry-level printers generally start at around 200mm x 200mm x 200mm print size, and you can go up to 320mm x 320mm x 320mm or so without getting into crazy money.

If you are thinking about getting into 3d printing, I would recommend browsing the YouTube channels for Makers Muse or Thomas Sandladerer (and probably a dozen others, but these are two that I tend to watch); Thomas currently has a series going that introduces 3d printing, including the different types of printers, the software needed, the process to get from design to print, and so on.
Andy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 07:33:13 AM »
Anyone got a 400 x 400 capacity 3D Printer :thinking:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal