Author Topic: Hemingway machinists hammer  (Read 1894 times)

Offline samc88

Hemingway machinists hammer
« on: June 27, 2020, 09:32:48 PM »
I've been out of action for a while since the bearings in my lathe developed a horrendous amount of play in them, so I've been doing the spindle bearing mod on it to have taper roller bearings. Results are much better. To prove the machine before getting back to my loco project I thought I'd do a nice simple project to get back into it. The hammer from Hemingway fits the bill. Yes I could probably make one from bits I've got but I like the look of this one.

First picture is of the bar stock components, a steel shaft, bronze and aluminium for the head and material to make the fixing screw.

Started with the shaft, and faced and centre drilled both ends

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Hemingway machinists hammer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 That's a nice little hammer!
 Back in my time in Technical School, I made this larger (but similar) version. I don't have the original plans (hand drawn) over 30 years ago, but I did "reverse engineer" them into 3D CAD. I need to finish those drawings so I can post them... :atcomputer:
 It's a great hammer, 1-1/4 Dia. brass & Al. replaceable faces (held with taper pins), the rest just mild steel. It's my "Go to" hammer for engine building (Full size).

Yours will be a great size & you will LOVE IT!

John

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 08:28:20 AM »
I made one about eight years ago. I am not sure why, I guess I liked the look of it. A nice little, simple, exercise.

It wanders around the workshop like a lost soul since I prefer my small copper and hide headed Thor mallet. Hammers, including mallets, are very personal tools. I must have between 15 and 20 but only 3 or 4 ever get used.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline samc88

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:29:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Yes, so far I'm enjoying it, the material from Hemingway is superb to machine. Avtur, yes I've got quite a collection of hammers, I've just not got one this size for gentle tapping of things so I think it will find some use. Usually bigger hammers are the name of the game with what I do on the boat refits where I work

Offline samc88

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:38:38 PM »
Made some progress this morning. Turned down the end to 6mm diameter for a length of 5/8" and tried out my new die holder to thread it M6 which worked well. Once I'd proven the thread with a nut (it's a nice fit), I slid some plastic conduit over it to protect the thread until I need it.

Once the thread was done, I marked the end of the tapered section 1/4" from the shoulder, then flipped it around in the chuck and made the 3 grooves, 1/16" wide x 60 thou deep. This really proves the spindle bearing mod as grooving was horrendous before as it always dug in with the play in the spindle. I'm leaving this as is for now for two reasons, I haven't got a drive dog (I've ordered one now), also whilst the tailstock is set up to be parallel with the lathe bed, I'll do the other machining operations first.

Offline samc88

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
Also mde a start on the head. Chucked the aluminium section, faced and drilled to 1/2" diameter by 3/4" deep. Using my bore gauge I measured the hole to be 3 tenths oversize, not too bad for a drill bit. My theory to straight drilling it is that I've got to turn the other section to fit it so I didn't worry about it being slightly over

Offline samc88

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
Little bit more done this afternoon. Turned down the end of the bronze to 1/2". I started with a centre for support as there's a fair bit sticking out. When that got in the way I had to swap to using the fixed steady which worked well. I did have to swap to a HSS tool as the insert I have doesn't like bronze too much. Happily it was a nice 1thou interference fit with the aluminium piece which pressed on nicely.

Next was to turn the OD to an inch and machine the groove 1/4" in from the edge of the bronze. Next I'll put in the 4 jaw (only so I can put protective packing around the machined area and take the run out out of it.

Offline samc88

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 09:12:25 PM »
Used a left hand tool to finish the OD. I also marked the hole location in between the grooves whilst it was in the lathe so I'll drill that tomorrow hopefully

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
Nice work!    What is the body of your fixed steady made from?       Terry

Offline samc88

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »
Nice work!    What is the body of your fixed steady made from?       Terry
Thanks Terry. I think it's cast iron but not too sure. It came with the mini lathe but this was the first time I've used it.

Offline samc88

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 06:21:16 PM »
Got the cross hole drilled and counterbored after work using the four jaw chuck which worked well. The shaft is a nice fit in the head, just the nut to make now and then taper the shaft when the drive dog comes in the post

Offline samc88

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 08:13:44 PM »
Got the nut machined tonight, works well. I just need to borrow a plug tap from work to finish the threads so it screws all the way down. I cut the slot using a needle file

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Looking good!

John

Offline samc88

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 08:03:55 PM »
Thanks John. Calling this finished now. I ended up knurling the handle as I quite like a knurl and I think it looks better than just the grooves. I'm happy with it, all in all quite an enjoyable little project

Offline CHP

• cheers
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 10:26:35 PM »
Nice project. ;) ;) when i was teaching machine shop, I got the students to build one.
The only difference, they had to drill the handle, and fill it up with lead. Better balance ,
of course they had to build a plug to cap it off, god work

12x36 lathe,Seig7x10 lathe, Taig lathe
9x29 Mill, Emco 55 CNC mill.......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal