Author Topic: What next?  (Read 4481 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: What next?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »
Thats one of my favvorite engines - looks like an altar to Steam!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 08:55:55 PM »
With an eye to low costs and fabricated construction I am looking at Anthony Mount's "Farcot Table Engine" or the Tidman organ engine. Jason's prototype is stunning. I think I'm going for a vertical engine this time........or maybe a beam :facepalm2:             Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 07:37:44 AM »
If you do opt for the table engine then it would be worth looking up Ramon's build of the Waller engine as his methods will be a good guide even if not the same table engine.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 04:00:26 PM »
With an eye to low costs and fabricated construction I am looking at Anthony Mount's "Farcot Table Engine"

I suggest if you do make this engine you do the challenging construction of the Entablature first  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
Another option for a vertical that has a similar look to the Tidman and would be an easier fabrication is the 2" x 2" Clarkson vertical, castings are available from Blackgates but as you say a more costly option.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFZxTmeXNMk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFZxTmeXNMk</a>

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »
Another nice one Jason,  Spoilt for choice :headscratch: :headscratch:.  I even looked at some Sanderson beam castings on Ebay ::)  I even thought I might look again at the stirrup engine at work.  No rush at present.            Terry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »
castings are available from Blackgates but as you say a more costly option.

Only if you have plenty of cost free materials already to hand  ::)

Jo

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
True Jo,     I think I have fallen in love with that 2" x 2" Clarkson with reversing gear :Love:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
castings are available from Blackgates but as you say a more costly option.

Only if you have plenty of cost free materials already to hand  ::)

Jo

Why? still cheaper to buy in material.

Last one I worked out the costs on was similar to a Stuart No7, and allowing for buying all materials in 300mm lengths of most sizes and a few slices of larger dia stock, fixings, etc it was still 1/3rd the price of a casting set. left over material can go towards other engines so bringing the cost down further.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 01:12:17 PM »
You are welcome to spend your time fabricating and silver soldering things together and using your cost free CNC machine, I prefer to use castings.

The price of the 2" bore and stroke Clarkson engine casting sets from Blackgates are rather less than buying a similar sized engine from Stuarts. About 1/4 of the cost  ::)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »
Jo, in his opening post SCC said he wanted to fabricate so I'm suggesting suitable options, can't help it if he also wants to make things that way and not use castings.

As Blackgates don't include raw materials, fixings etc I would expect their casting only sets to be less than Stuarts but I expect that 2 x 2 Clarkson could be done for half or less of their £420 asking price so your comment about fabricating costing more is incorrect.

EDIT I've just gone through the drawing and to buy materials using M-machine pricelist, 300mm for small sections, per 25mm for larger would be approx £160, add in the RDG flywheel SCC already has and some fixings gives approx £200, as some of those materials and fixings would have to have been bought to go with the Blackgates castings then outlay is in the region of ONE THIRD

No need for him to get a CNC either as most of my fabricated engines have been done without one, just seems a shame not to use it now I have been given it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:50:44 PM by Jasonb »

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 01:45:57 PM »

Engineer's Emporium have some of Kornmuller's historical models as well as the (expensive) DH Gypsy Major and a number of Hit and Miss Models.

Jo

Jo, I recognise that your knowledge of castings and what is available is encyclopedic. At present Engineer's Emporium do not advertise the DH Gypsy Major. Are they holding back castings? Also, are castings available elsewhere and would they cost an awful lot of money (what ever that may be)?

Although I have bought a number of casting kits, I have no knowledge on how the market works. Would Engineer's Emporium just sell the drawings?

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »
Jo, I recognise that your knowledge of castings and what is available is encyclopedic. At present Engineer's Emporium do not advertise the DH Gypsy Major. Are they holding back castings? Also, are castings available elsewhere and would they cost an awful lot of money (what ever that may be)?

They have it in their paper catalogue for £695. The owner of EE got very twitchy when he realised that Mike Coles had a copy from the original l German drawings to see what he was letting himself in for before buying himself a set of castings.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 02:20:00 PM »
EDIT I've just gone through the drawing and to buy materials using M-machine pricelist, 300mm for small sections, per 25mm for larger would be approx £160, add in the RDG flywheel SCC already has and some fixings gives approx £200, as some of those materials and fixings would have to have been bought to go with the Blackgates castings then outlay is in the region of ONE THIRD

Just found Blackgates have priced it at £365, so more than the original £250 I was expecting. The nearest sized Stuart would be the 5A which is smaller.

Jo
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:25:46 PM by Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal