Author Topic: What next?  (Read 4434 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
What next?
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »
Having made my 4" scale Burrell I tried my hand at something smaller...an 1/8scale scratch built slide valve engine measured from a full size one. The journey has been interesting, highlighting my lack of precision tackle (and ability)    So what next?  Whilst I am full of admiration for all the exquisite model engines here, I could not get inspired to try one unless a full size working engine already existed. I have considered a hit & miss open crank engine but as I have a boiler arriving soon it will have to be steam. Another complication is the cost of casting sets which I cannot justify at present. I bought an RDG flywheel and a lump of cast iron for the Charlesworth, the rest was Jo type scrapbinium!
Suggestions on a postcard, etc :thinking:          Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »
It takes a long time to make a 4" traction engine  :Love: you have time to make many model engines .

Why not try one of each and see where your preferences lie? ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 09:17:31 PM »
Any old engines at museums or factories near where you live? Lots of fun to go measure one for a model version, if they will let you.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 07:32:47 AM »
Look at sites such as Preston Steam and use google images, I've found quite a few things on there some of which have already been made but most still in the "future projects" folder. I have also made from photos and a few known dimensions of museum engines, old illustrations and etchings or scaled up/down existing models with all or almost all parts fabricated.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 11:26:47 AM »
Thank you People for suggestions.                Terry

Offline kvom

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
One of the Anthony Mount engines from his books?

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
The Charlesworth was measured up from full size and you are right that there are many engines locally  (lucky me :LickLips:) I just fancied building to someone else's drawings.   Anthony Mount's engines have always appealed to me, I just doubt my abilities to do one. I have no collet systems etc., so would need to invest to give myself a chance.    In the meantime I need to complete the Charlesworth and carry out some mods on the Burrell. (Replace disc flywheel with spoked and black some cylinder covers and hubcaps to make more"Isaac Ball" like!!           Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 01:25:13 PM »
If you want to make an engine using someone else's design but it should be based on a real engine, there are a few cheaper casting suppliers around:

Anthony Mount's engine designs - supplied by Polly Engineering.

Hicks Engines - supplied by Hemmingway.

Reeves 2000 have a number of engines a couple are based on full sized engines (and the Commander is a full sized engine)

While Brunel have some models based on prototypes but I would advise against purchasing from them unless you can go there and only part with your cash when they actually hand over all the items.

Alyn Foundry does a couple of rather nice models of full sized engines: The Allman, Robinson X type (Chippy Engine) and the other Robinson Stirling engine.

Engineer's Emporium have some of Kornmuller's historical models as well as the (expensive) DH Gypsy Major and a number of Hit and Miss Models.

Blackgates were going to make available the Murdoch Aitken Table engine, known as the "Clarkson Steeple Engine "

There must be more  :thinking:

Anthony never used to use collets when making his models  ::)

Jo
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:28:28 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »
You don't really need a collet system, that Filer and Stowell I finished last month was done without using mine just for the hell of it though 5C is nice for small work. You can also up the size of any design if you are making your own or go down for that matter.

I suppose something vertical would be a good complement to the horizontal you have just made, Engineers Emporium do a Tidman organ engine at full size, I did one from photos at 2/3rd scale which is still a good size engine

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 02:47:45 PM »
Thank you Jo and Jason :cheers:   I'm encouraged and will look into your suggestions.             Terry

Online Charles Lamont

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 08:28:18 PM »
In Lancashire you are spoilt for choice of prototypes locally. You have the Northern Mill Engine Society at Bolton, MOSI in Manchester, Bancroft, and there are numerous small engines about the place at Ellenroad.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 08:53:49 PM »
Hey SCC, that could be the next project, go around and draw up plans for all those engines. One big diorama!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 09:38:58 AM »
Definitely spoilt for choice......I have visited them all :)       indecision, indecision :thinking:     and not forgetting the wonderful Anson Engine Museum nearby.     Time will tell.    Thanks All for the suggestions :ThumbsUp:     Chris..thanks but no thanks :???:        Terry

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 11:43:16 AM »
You mentioned the Anson Engine museum Terry.

My association goes back to the early eighties, it has grown beautifully over time!

My favourite steam engine on display ( in steam on special events ) is the Crowther. It embodies the mix of both art and practicality. They also have the Stott and a very nice example of a Robey beam engine too.
Although I'm not a " Steam guy " I can certainly appreciate the engineering in these exhibits, Geoff Baker, the engine driver is also a very passionate presenter.

Here's a video I shot of the Crowther in action....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhmIyluYbAA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhmIyluYbAA</a>

The flywheel was too big to machine so the makers chose to create a square hole in the boss mated to a square on the crankshaft. By the use of " carefully " placed wedges it runs pretty true, don't you think?

Cheers Graham.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 05:52:20 PM »
Thank you Graham.   Not noticed that one before! Beautiful isn't it..          Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal