Author Topic: Hello from Norfolk UK  (Read 1307 times)

Offline AlanM

Hello from Norfolk UK
« on: June 19, 2020, 07:30:24 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for letting me join this forum. A little background for you. I grew up rebuilding mopeds, motorbikes (Matchless 250 CSR, Triumph Trophy 650 (struggled to sell that in 1979), I then moved on to a kit car an RMB Gentry MG TF lookalike and put a Triumph straight 6 2.5 (twin SU) engine in it. This was in 1980 and the new owner in 2015 has recently swapped photos with me. So leaping forward in time I got involved in my chidhood hobby aeromodelling when I could afford Radio Control. This got me involved in IC engines. I have only a couple of really nice ones an old Enya open rockers and a Laser 150, and lots of OS run of the mill. I ended up doing lots of rebuilds for myself and others.

Having had a break from that I am approaching retirement and like many others I am setting myself up with a workshop I am fortunate to have a double garage attached which I have dry lined and about to fit a window and doors to replace the draughty metal things. I have acquired an excess of machinery some of which will have to go I think. When I was buying one machine others just seemed to follow me home.

Harrison M250, Myford 254S,  Warco WM20, Harrison Universal mill.

Anyway in the course of buying all this, my goal was to build a steam engine eventually so I began acquiring unused castings and even a certified boiler for a 3 inch plastow Burrell. During all this activity I also acquired various unfinished projects a quorn kit being most notable. I also have a unknown to me set of castings for a model aero engine, this will form the basis of my first question to you in a seperate post.

Thanks for listening.

Alan

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hello from Norfolk UK
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
 :hi: Alan,

Sounds like you are well set up to make your first steam engine have you thought what you might like to build?

I also have a unknown to me set of castings for a model aero engine, this will form the basis of my first question to you in a separate post.

We should be able to identify it for you  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

You sound to be well prepared and ready to go.
Best regards

Roger

Offline nj111

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »
Welcome! You are off to a great start with those machines. I'd be inclined to hang on to as many of your older machines as possible. Better than money in the bank.  Nick
Nick

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 01:31:01 PM »
Hello Alan, all this sounds promising!  I would agree with Nick, if the machines are in reasonable order, and especially if they have a useful quantity of accessory bits and pieces along with them, then take advantage of your largish workshop area and hang on to them! Incidentally, building the Quorn grinder is pretty much a tutorial course in machining and set up ingenuity in itself, and a very handy bit of kit when ( eventually ! ) done ...    Dave

Offline AlanM

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for the welcome, I think you are right there is no loss in holding on to them and I do tend to enjoy just having them them. They are all one careful model owner from new (except the warco he wasn't a modeller although I guess he was careful)
I have the original purchase order for the Harrison M250 (wish he bought changwheels ) I also got a Tom Senior E type from the same chap with purchase forms I didn't mention it in the last post didn't want to seem like I was bragging  :Lol:  The old Harrison mill has the universal higher speed head which if you look at the lathes.co.uk site now has a picture of since I sent it in. That one has been through the wars a bit but it came home with the Myford 254S  so what could I do.
Oh and didn't think it worth mentioning a Warco simple surface grinder I got in an auction. Need somone like Stephan Gotteswinter to turn it into a real machine.  :Lol:

As to what engines well there will be the Burrell to do long term, and the now identified Channel island special rediscovered when moving things around to prepare for windows and doors fitting. I have always wanted a V twin so will be looking at that and no doubt some Stuarts to cut my teeth on. I have some familiarity with machining so not totally green but not instantly cocksure either. My colleague down the road built this beast https://www.facebook.com/346314529557/photos/bob-brooks-immaculate-yellow-metal-blown-alky-funnybike-is-for-sale-hopefully-on/10154834523359558/  he has now retired and got himself the most beautiful Hardinge lathe that he has improved, very clever chap.
Cheers Alan

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 02:18:38 PM »
Hi Alan, welcome to the forum,  what size is the Burrell going to be ... I am in Norwich and go to the Forncett Museum in October for the model engineers day so may see you there if it is on this year !!

Willy

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »
Hi Alan
Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline AlanM

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »
Thanks Chaps,

Willy, "what size is the Burrell going to be"  It's 3 inch with steel boiler although I have got all the copper to make the copper boiler, I must get around to selling that sometime. That will be another question don't see enough of boiler kits sold to estimate value on that item.

I'm north of Norwich in Drayton. Went to the model day two years ago at Forncett I think it was.

Alan

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 07:02:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Alan!
Kim

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »
Hi Alan, your TS E Type mill is a very nice addition to have obtained for the 'shop, and might sort out the drilling machine question along with its milling capability  ( or have you not told us about the drill? ! ) . Though a good deal smaller, the E Types tend to be more popular and expensive than the Light Vertical ( which I have ) equipped with the same quill head.  I suppose the convenience of the smaller size to accommodate, and the generally good condition of a machine used by model engineers rather than commercially tips the balance : my LV mill had led a hard former life, unfortunately!   Dave 

Offline AlanM

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 04:55:08 PM »
Hi Dave,

:Lol: No I didn't forget to tell you about my drill it is a bench mounted Record power a half decent blue one before they went really cheap, so has cast (ally)pull down and cast pulley guard. Nothing special. I was so close to getting a meddings floor standing one at an auction but I let my colleague have it and he didn't know what it was  :hammerbash: until I told him and he got it for just over £100  :'(  but he helped me move my machinery so what can you do. I have been  using the Warco for more precise drilling and the record for core plug cutting for the skirting boards I have been replacing.
Yes I have used the senior and it has to be said the table is exquisite in it's quality, as is the S head, I did pay top money for it as they come up so rarely. I hope to fit it in somewhere. Until I get the doors and window in and reshuffle I won't get a full feel of the space.
You can see my problem in the photo attached, I've been knocking up a false wall ready to remove right hand garage door. It took 2-3 hours to move the Warco mill from front to back, and that Harrison mill weighs something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal