Author Topic: Sqear head arbor support Bridgeport  (Read 1644 times)

Offline HUMARIA

Sqear head arbor support Bridgeport
« on: June 02, 2020, 06:57:37 PM »
Hello all over the World,
Is there anyone how has an arbor support for the Bridgeport sqear head attechment. I have the sqear head and 3 arbors but no support for them. I want to make that by my self but I don't have the right masserments.  Plaese can someone help me out. My thanks in advance.

Regards from the Netherlands
Huib Hoogendoorn

Offline kvom

Re: Sqear head arbor support Bridgeport
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 07:56:33 PM »
Some pics to understand what you're looking for would help.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 01:11:09 AM »
Hello Huib!

Thanks for joining and welcome!

A few photographs would help.   Can you post some here?

Thank you!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline HUMARIA

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:01:20 AM »
Hello, offcourse pictures are a better way to show what I mean.

the picture withe the head, Arbor and support are from the net, so the head I have also the Arbor but not the support for the arbors.
 I bought 2 supports (picture 2) from an other milling machine to fix the support for my Bridgeport. They are a little to low so I have to put some metal on (picture 3), but how much, thats the quistion.
Some measurements of the support are welcome.

regards Huib

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »
Hi Huib,

You are looking to set up what I would call a Horizontal milling arrangement for a Bridgeport. To do this it uses a geared right angle head attached to the nose of the milling machine and a right angle Arbor support bracket.

You have the geared head that goes on the nose of the milling machine, any chance of a pic of that? This will give you the correct height dimensions.

The two spare support brackets you have do you know what they are off of? I'm wondering it it might be more accurate to bore a support from the geared right angle head :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »
I would think you could get that measurement by mounting your right angle drive to the Bridgeport, placing I rod in the collet and measuring the distance from the bottom of the rod to the table.

Then attach your arbor support to the dovetail on the Bridgeport, place the same rod in the arbor support and again measuring the distance from the bottom of the rod to the table.  The difference in the two measurements is the length spacer you need?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline HUMARIA

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »
I have calculated the difference in height with the used supports, it's 47 mm what I'm short of on top of the purchased supports.
Now the next problem, how best to fix the 47 mm block to the lower part, with a double dovetail connection? or to mill off the bought support and bolt the fitting piece on top of it with the right dovetail for clamping it on the ram.
The correct location for an Arbor bearing is indeed best determined when everything has been mounted and then with a drill from the right angle head.
thanks to those who responded, when it is ready i will come back to it.
regards
Huib

Offline HUMARIA

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 11:36:44 AM »
I wrote that I would come back when the whole thing was finished, maybe it would be interesting to show the editing of the whole here as well, if not I would like to hear it.
To be able to compensate for the correct height, a filling of 75 mm has to be made. A piece of steel of sufficient size was quickly found and could be started to mill it to the right dimensions.
 In order not to put too much strain on the beautiful 31 year old lady, 0.5 mm at a time was milled and on the slowest position of the table feed. The total removal should be 23mm so it will take quite some time before the 23mm are removed. But it is hobby so time is not an issue. On the 1st picture the start of the milling with cutting oil that goes up in smoke on the 2nd picture you can see the scratch line on which the block has to be milled.
so far for today, till next time
huib

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal