Author Topic: spark plug size poll  (Read 1888 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
spark plug size poll
« on: May 29, 2020, 06:07:30 PM »
Yeah i'm at it again. Trying to get an idea of what the popular size plugs are out there. So a couple quick questions if you have a minute to help.

What size plug/thread in 1/4 scale

What size plug/thread in 1/3 scale

I'm asking because in the case of an older 7/8 threaded plug a true 1/4 scale falls between a 1/4 and #10 and a true 1/3 scale falls between 1/4 and 5/16

1/4 scale 5.5mm
1/3 scale 7.4mm

Also interested to hear about other scales and configurations.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: spark plug size poll
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 06:45:27 PM »
As the thread does not actually show on the plug when it is in place could you just not make everything above the washer to scale and have a smaller thread eg 1/4 x 32 for the 1/3rd scale and #10 for the 1/4 scale then most people will have the taps already.

Alternative would be to use 7/32 and 9/32 ME threads in 32tpi if you want closer to diameter though not a spopular your side of the pond as here. M7 x 0.75 would be another option for the 1/3rd scale plug as that is used on gas fittings so a few people may have the taps. In US I expect #12 and #18 will win the day.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:52:21 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »
This is going to sound a bit stupid  :facepalm2: ..... How about selling spark plugs with no thread and let people cut their own threads  :noidea:

There are a bunch of standard plug sizes, if you start producing scale plugs then whoever picks up an engine second hand is going  :censored: it up when they try fitting a standard plug.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 07:04:50 PM »

As the thread does not actually show on the plug when it is in place could you just not make everything above the washer to scale and have a smaller thread eg 1/4 x 32 for the 1/3rd scale and #10 for the 1/4 scale then most people will have the taps already.

That is what I would do ideally. Drop down to the next common thread and keep the lower half modern. I guess I would like to know if builders have moved down or did they go up to the next common size. Many of the hit miss engines I see at shows were built many years ago back when spark plug options were limited.

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 07:13:44 PM »
This is going to sound a bit stupid  :facepalm2: ..... How about selling spark plugs with no thread and let people cut their own threads  :noidea:

There are a bunch of standard plug sizes, if you start producing scale plugs then whoever picks up an engine second hand is going  :censored: it up when they try fitting a standard plug.

Jo

They would be scale plugs on top with standard, modern lower end. I guess what I want to know is, is a 1/4 inch thread more common in a 1/4 scale engine or a #10?

If someone has to cut there own thread then they would also have to machine the ground strap at the bottom. I'm not sure anyone would be interested in them.

I just dont want to make a plug that nobody wants because it wont fit or needs an adapter.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 07:20:58 PM »
From my experience many years ago with customers cars and motorbikes making plugs with no thread is a great idea :Jester: They would be a perfect fit on all those cylinder heads stripped by "do it yourselfers".    :ROFL:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal