Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 130086 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #1065 on: November 25, 2020, 06:32:19 PM »
Great explanation on the soldering process Chris. Thanks.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1066 on: November 25, 2020, 09:07:50 PM »
Done with the pickling soak, ready for next steps:

Next will make up some blocks for the other ends of the steel arms which will form the yokes which bolt to the reverse links.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1067 on: November 25, 2020, 09:09:49 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #1068 on: November 28, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
Back 1000 years ago (it seems like it) at my Dad and Grandfather's service station we used a heavy duty large funnel with a built in can opener for fast oil changes. All oil for cars came in metal 1 quart cans at the time. You put the funnel in the engine's valve cover oil hole, jam the first oil can in, check the belts, jam second oil can in, check battery electrolyte levels (or the blue eye, later) and coolant, jam third oil can in, check air filter and heater hoses, jam fourth oil can in, clean windshield. Check oil level. All done in 8 min or less. (assuming you remembered to put the drain plug back in before adding the new oil)  :o

Through the power of Goog L I found a pic of one of these now-antique funnels, showing the opener inside it, the pic is attached.

Anyway, the thought - if you made a miniature version of that funnel, you could hold it in your mouth and jam the tiny beer cans into it to open them! (hope the shop elves aren't reading this)
Oh man does that bring back memories, in those dark days of yonder I worked at various gas stations and knew those funnels well. One of the tricks some of the guys who were a little on the shady side would pull was to punch the oil can upside down in the funnel and drain it, then put it to one side. The next customer who came in would be short dipped on the oil stick and showing they needed a quart of oil. The attendant then picked up the already drained oil can showed the unpunched top to the customer then inserted it in the funnel, leaving a rag over the previously punched oil can. He would then full dip the oil stick and show the customer that his oil was ok, then quickly shove the oil can in the disposal bin. That was why I always added my own oil.
Gerald.   
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #1069 on: November 28, 2020, 07:53:20 PM »
I remember the oil funnels that punched the hole in the can and became the spout to pour oil into an engine. I also remember the gas pumps from when I was a kid, pre-electricity. The pumps had a great big graduated clear cylinder on the top marked in quarts, and there was a lever on the side of the gas pump. Every pump of the lever brought a quart of gasoline up from the underground storage tank into the glass cylinder. When the amount of gas you wanted was in the cylinder, you put the hose into your gas tank filler and turned a valve to drain the glass cylinder into your gas tank. One of the prettiest girls in my village had a summer job at the corner store/post office/gas station manning the gas pump. I had a 1952 Chev car and always went there to buy my gas (and to see the pretty girl).

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1070 on: November 28, 2020, 08:01:12 PM »
One of the prettiest girls in my village had a summer job at the corner store/post office/gas station manning the gas pump. I had a 1952 Chev car and always went there to buy my gas (and to see the pretty girl).

Yeah - something never changes (at least with the youth)  :LittleDevil:

What happened here - did the big Elv forgot to make the smaller Elves work and publish any work on the great Mann Wagon Build .... there used to be daily updates ....  :thinking:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1071 on: November 28, 2020, 08:06:16 PM »
One of the prettiest girls in my village had a summer job at the corner store/post office/gas station manning the gas pump. I had a 1952 Chev car and always went there to buy my gas (and to see the pretty girl).

Yeah - something never changes (at least with the youth)  :LittleDevil:

What happened here - did the big Elv forgot to make the smaller Elves work and publish any work on the great Mann Wagon Build .... there used to be daily updates ....  :thinking:
The big and little elves were all off for the holiday here! No worries, we are back!   :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1072 on: November 28, 2020, 08:17:38 PM »
More work on the eccentric followers, they are almost done now. The next bit to add was the yoke for the end of each arm. Started with some square bar stock, and milled slots in each end to take the ends of the arms.

As with the follower end, drilled for some 1mm rivets to hold the pieces together for silver soldering.

After soldering and some cleanup, milled off the sides of the square bar, since the arms were narrower.

Next clamped the yoke blank with the end sticking out, to mill a curve to blend it into the arm. The outer corner will be rounded on the sander later.

Then dug out one of my old clamping fixtures and used that to drill the holes for the pivot bolts into the reverse links. There is a screw at the follower end and a shallow recess on the bottom of the clamp block that was used to set the position of the arms the same for each one - the distance from the follower center to the pivot bolt needs to be the same for all the parts, otherwise the valves wont center up in both forward and reverse positions. The hole was drilled through to tap 2-56, and halfway through larger to take a shoulder bolt that I'll make later.

Then milled through the side to form the yoke itself...

Here are the followers re-assembled onto the crankshaft to show how the yokes overlap. On the left are some bolts with nuts that I loctited on - still need to trim off the bolt head leaving a little of the thread showing, these will replace the screws currently holding the parts together. Thanks to Willy for showing a similar setup on his build (sure its been shown before, but I had forgotten that trick).

So, after replacing the screws, next step is to make the shoulder bolts for the yoke ends. Then can get the crankshaft and eccentrics lapped to run nice and smooth, and reassemble it all onto the model!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1073 on: November 29, 2020, 01:25:31 AM »
looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1074 on: November 29, 2020, 05:30:51 PM »
Thanks CNR!

Some tedious reassembly and lapping/oiling this morning, got the crankshaft subassembly all together and back into the model:

The elves were mumbling about 10 pounds of cookies in a 5 pound bag. Or maybe there just want 10 more pounds of cookies...

And with the top cover on:

Next will be to make the small shoulder bolts for the ends of the eccentric follower arms...

Online tghs

« Reply #1075 on: November 29, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »
filled up the space well,, you should make a clear cover so folks could watch all the works.
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1076 on: November 29, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »
And the shoulder bolts made - the thread in the end was done by drilling/tapping the end and running in a cut off length of a 2-56 screw, since getting a full thread up to a shoulder is difficult.

So next up are the slide links...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1077 on: November 30, 2020, 01:46:19 AM »
That's a nice method with the inserted shoulder screw thread. Crankshaft and associated parts look happy in their new home.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1078 on: November 30, 2020, 02:33:31 AM »
That's a nice method with the inserted shoulder screw thread. Crankshaft and associated parts look happy in their new home.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
And hopefully I was right when I figured out which eccentric arm of each side was paired with the other side, or I'll have to take it apart again!   :noidea:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1079 on: November 30, 2020, 05:31:27 AM »
That'a a lot of intricate work hiding there under that cover!  Looking great, Chris!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal