Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 131147 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #855 on: October 23, 2020, 03:18:13 AM »

Wow this is looking really good ..and green seems to be the "in" colour at the moment !!

Willy

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #856 on: October 23, 2020, 03:49:44 AM »

Wow this is looking really good ..and green seems to be the "in" colour at the moment !!

Willy
Thanks Willy!  We seem to be using a lot of green around here for sure! Its amazing how much different the parts look with color on them.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #857 on: October 23, 2020, 02:22:40 PM »
Ethan the driver was complaining about sitting on the sheet metal seats, so I made him up some leather covered cushions. Actually these are carved from wood, with some sanded in depressions to look like used cushions. The wood was clear coated then a couple coats of paint, first a light brown then a dark brown, both lightly applied and left so the color underneath would show through to give a leather effect.

Also have been working on the frames/planking for the back wall and roof of the cab, pictures on that once they are farther along...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #858 on: October 24, 2020, 08:42:42 PM »
Getting closer to having the cab back wall/roof far enough along to show, more wood glue is setting up. For you metal-only-impaired, think of it as brown Loctite!

Also been playing with the design on the Holly engine, and thinking of how to best make the A-frame parts, which are quite large with curved sections. I was thinking of having them waterjet cut, but at the size and number of parts, the cost gets up there pretty darn quick! Have to compare to bar stock pieced up...

Also Also, the latest issue of Live Steam magazine, just out, has the conclusion of my Lombard build article series. Next issue will likely have a short writeup on my Stanley Steamer engine, build log was here earlier this year. And with luck after that the series on the Marion steam shovel build.... Very exciting times....

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #859 on: October 24, 2020, 08:53:23 PM »
I had no idea you were published - but I shouldn't be surprised given the quality of your work and the prose on this forum. I'll have to look into that magazine, very exciting.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #860 on: October 24, 2020, 08:55:12 PM »
Did some price checking, and it will be LOTS cheaper to make the large A-frames on the Holly engine from pieced up bar stock - to waterjet means too much waste in the cutout areas, driving up the material costs. On loser look, the frames have straight center sections with curves at the very ends where they flare out into flanges, those sections could be made separate and bolted on.

Thats all future-project musing, back to the Mann build!   :atcomputer:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #861 on: October 24, 2020, 08:56:30 PM »
I had no idea you were published - but I shouldn't be surprised given the quality of your work and the prose on this forum. I'll have to look into that magazine, very exciting.
Thanks very much. The article started in March 2018, includes full drawings and instructions for all the parts.  :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #862 on: October 24, 2020, 09:11:30 PM »
The glue set up enough to take off the clamps:

Where it will sit on the model:

Needs to set up more, then can do some finish filling/sanding. The inside will be varnished, outside painted green to match the truck.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #863 on: October 25, 2020, 04:40:20 AM »
Wow, Chris!  That's going to be another dramatic change in the looks of the model!  Quite the transformation over the last few weeks to say the least!

You are like a bullet train, Chris!  You get more done in a day than I get done in a month!

And I've been enjoying your Lombard Hauler build series in Live Steam!  Hope they pick up more of your models  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Kim 

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #864 on: October 25, 2020, 05:48:36 PM »
Wow, Chris!  That's going to be another dramatic change in the looks of the model!  Quite the transformation over the last few weeks to say the least!

You are like a bullet train, Chris!  You get more done in a day than I get done in a month!

And I've been enjoying your Lombard Hauler build series in Live Steam!  Hope they pick up more of your models  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Kim
Thanks very much Kim!  They are deciding now whether to gather up that series as a book - hoping so!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #865 on: October 25, 2020, 05:50:32 PM »
While the wood parts of the cab wall/roof are being clear coated on the inside then painted on the outside, I got the front support posts made (height will be trimmed to match when the roof is fitted). Originally I was going to bolt the bottom of the back wall to the frame in front of the cargo bed, but I think it would be a lot stronger to bolt it to the end of the cargo bed itself.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #866 on: October 25, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
« Reply #867 on: October 26, 2020, 08:06:37 AM »
Chris, this might be of interest. Look down to the lower right hand side.
Ian.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #868 on: October 26, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
Ian, that is great, thanks!!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #869 on: October 26, 2020, 07:21:20 PM »
Got the cab wall/roof painted and bolted onto the front of the cargo bed...

soldered some blocks to strips of steel for the upper end brackets on the support poles, they are in soaking in the pickle now, will get the drilling and shaping done once they are clean.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal